Naha C130A Damaged Fall Of 69

rv7plt

I was looking through some pictures I took in Vietnam 69-70 and I came across some pictures of an A Model that I think was parked in a revetment at TSN. This was in Nov or Dec of 69. I did not get the tail number. The left side of the aft fuselage, left gear area and left wing/flap looked like swiss cheeze from a rocket or mortar that had exploded near the left paratroop door. Anybody have any info on what plane this was and the story behind it?

I don't have any specifics on the airplane but I remember being tdy to TSN and one C-130A had damage down the right side and every time we had a few minutes to spare we spent it splicing the wire bundfles down the right side. When it was finally pieced together enough it was flown back to Naha with the gear chained down. The wire bundles, etc. down that side were hell to work through and put back together, one of the worst jobs I ever had in my life.

I am pretty sure it was the right side though that had all the damage.

Gary Robinson

Naha AB 68-71

Comm/Nav

Edited by GaryRobinson

The pictures I have are on slides; I will get them converted to prints and digital then try again. It was the left side that suffered most of the damage but I can see shrapnel messing up wiring in the hog trough. Best I remember, someone on the ramp said it happened at kontum and the loadmaster was killed. It could have happened eartlier than Nov and the plane was sitting at TSN for awhile before I saw it.

BTW Gary, did you know a maintenance officer at Naha whose last name was Ray. Was probably a Maj or LTC.

Edited by rv7plt

Was that not the Herk I was witness too as a not to be named C/C fired the flare pistol on Christmas Eve thru the Nav slot without opening the outer plate?? I had just returned from Soc Trang where I went in to pick up balls 6 which blew #1 DC generator. The folks from Naha brought down a spread of chicken and fixens an BEER!! Some 101 airborne dude kept a loaded 45 on me until I took a swig of his Jack so I could take a L--k in the new latrine of the new in country pax terminal. Or was it the Herk that blew the starter on eng start which caused the engine to melt until we could put the fire out?? Talk about memkories 40 years ago!!! Or was it G/G Windy Logans airplane we canned the C--- out of, even the rubber, until we put it back together again? Cap

I don't remember the tail number of that aircraft, old age, but I was the AC/C on her. I still have a piece of shrapnell that I took out of the overhead hog trough. It was a pain getting her back to flying shape. The best part was our squadron was flying out of Cam Ron Bay, so when I was TDY at TSN, I was on my own. It took six months to get the correct elevator assymbly. Saw a lot of movies with nothing else to do. When we flew her back to Naha, I don't recall the gear being down. I know it was chained down when they flew it to TSN. Some of you may recall this plane as we put a bright blue flight deck on it and painted the Inst. Panel and insulation tan. Some would say pink. That was Larry the crewchiefs idea. It would be great to get a picture of her. The last time I saw it was when we ferried it to Van Nuys for the ANG.

• 1 month later...

I think I may have a number for you on that A model RV7PLT saw at TSN in '69. I was part of the maintenance recovery team that went up to Bu Dop to get a C130A pieced back together to fly back to TSN. That was November of '69. She took some mortar hits after landing that wiped out the left main tires and number 2 engine. Also tore up the hydraulics for the ramp and elevator controls. There were shrapnel hits all over the left side of the aft fuselage and tail. The Army wanted to blow it up since it had been "quiet" at their camp for a while, but the A/C wouldn't hear of it. The rest of the crew left and he remained behind to make sure the Army left it alone. After our team arrived we stripped out all the extra weight from the cargo compartment to lighten her up, replaced the tires and wheels, removed the torn up outer gear door, scavenged some tubing to get the elevators working again, closed the ramp with a forklift. Then we got in, filled the other crew seats since there was only the original A/C remaining, and took off on 3 engines. I've got some pictures from Bu Dop and some slides I took after return to TSN. I labelled the slides as tail number 5026, but after reviewing the production list it must have been 55-0026. My photos show an angle view of the vertical stab with "YP". I hope this helps fill in a few gaps.

By the way I saw a post in this thread from JCAP, thats one I do remember.

Hi Jeff. I just retired too!

Edited by elhubrich
accuracy