Pima Museum

Fräulein

Went to Arizona over the holdiay. Went to Pima museum. Was kind of a sad sight to see what had become of the few herks and the fairchilds they did have on display. Did not arrive in time to go out and take the graveyard tour.

Thought I would share the pics - so if any of you plan on going out there, you can save yourself a little time if you are going there to see herks. There was a very very small display about aircraft in Southeast Asia, and the role they played. No mention of CCK or PI. Small teeny tiny mention of the herk. Down on the bottom corner it was "planes utilized in Southeast Asian...c130 Hercules, on display outside". There was a zippo lighter with Blind Bat log on it. And a helmet with "The Dog" painted on the side of it. So that kind of gave me a little joy.

But most of the focus is on modern warfare planes, and aircraft that are only famous, because they were in a movie.

So here are a few of the pics of herks, fairchild, a globemaster and the strange YC14 by Boeing, on display outside.

th_AZtripNov09026.jpgth_AZtripNov09028.jpgth_AZtripNov09033.jpgth_AZtripNov09035.jpg

Actually, the last C-133 flight was in August 2008 from Anchorage to Travis AFB, via a tech stop in McChord AFB. It was a C-133A registered as N199AB (ex-USAF 56-1999). It and one or two others were owned and operated by Cargomaster Corp. and flew for the state of Alaska with commercial registrations. I saw them many times parked up by the FedEx ramp when I would pass through ANC.

Here's a video of it landing in McChord. It had a really unique sound -- sorta like the 3-bladed A-models.

Click here: C-133 | www.asb.tv

Don R.

Saw one on the ramp at Elmendorf close up. A big bird! Mostly seen parked at Anchorage International. There was a story about the operators scooping up a bunch of spares from the boneyard when they bought them, also, some problems with FAA certification that led to fines every time they flew, but they still made much more money on North Slope support.

They were flying DOD contract missions in the Eighties so you have to wonder??

Tried to get Pima to take EC-130E 62-1818 before it rolled into the Boneyard and lost it's wings. They wanted nothing to do with it. It had a lot more history than the two Herc's currently on display - Vietnam, ABCCC, Desert One, Desert Storm, Bosnia, etc., etc., and it was stationed at DM. They still weren't interested...

I beleive what you have there is not a Globemaster, but a C-133 Cargomaster.

operator error - I forgot to include the globemaster when I was trying to work around that four image per post limit. And forgot to edit that first post to reflect that.

th_AZtripNov09024.jpg

Tried to get Pima to take EC-130E 62-1818 before it rolled into the Boneyard and lost it's wings. They wanted nothing to do with it. It had a lot more history than the two Herc's currently on display - Vietnam, ABCCC, Desert One, Desert Storm, Bosnia, etc., etc., and it was stationed at DM. They still weren't interested...

I did bring this up to one of the "docents" there. They got a little testy. I decided not to pursue it as I had already inquired as to "How come the Southeast Asia display is so small?"

BTW - You shouldn't expect too much from me.

th_AZtripNov09071.jpg

Edited by Fräulein

OK Ya'll!

Working with some dated memory here- Saw a Globemaster sitting on a ramp at McChord the few times we passed through. One of the pilots made a comment about how the interior had been re-furb'd for holding meetings/dinner's with visiting brass. Being an old Sgt/LM the "Ya gotta' be shi//ing' me" light illuminated. Anybody out there got the real "skinny" on that aircraft?

I was a flight engineer on C-141s at Travis, we lived off base under the flight path. The C-124s were noisy when loaded headed for Hickam but the C-133s would shake the ground and viberate your teeth when taking off loaded. I saw them load a gun barrel for the New Jersey, (Off Viet Nam) into a C-133 as it was too long for the C-141. They had a very nice flight deck with a lounge area with seats and tables behind the flight deck. When the Props for a C-124 were benig transported to the flight line they took up half of the road, when the props for the C-133 were being transported they took up the whole road, very big props. They would probably have stayed around longer if metal fatigue had not caused them to start cracking around the front cargo door. One of them started pealing apart at the forward door and the large piece curled out and impacted the # 2 engine causing the plane to go into a flat spin that ended in a wheat field in Western Nebraska. The people who investigated the accident stated that they thought one of the engineers had stood behind the pilots seat all the way down. I had nightmares about that for awhile.