Any one know about aussie pilot

herkman

Lost when flying on exchange duty with the USAF, we heard down here that he lost control of the airplane and I believe all were lost.

His name was Reynolds I thought there was a posting some time ago on here but it does not come up on search.

Can any one throw any light on nthis matter.

Thanks

Col

Col,

Hope all is well!

Captain Mark W Reynolds 64-0501 on 28 Apr 1992.

I don't have any info here in Boston but I think they were flying out of Pope on a low level and ended up in Blewett Falls Lake. I don't know why.

Bob

Hi Col,

Bob's info is correct. I was at Pope at the time of this mishap. They were on a low level but had some extra time and Capt Reynolds was demonstrating some sort of ridge cresting maneuver used to recover from the vertical stabilizer stall problem. The gist was this was a maneuver supposedly used in the R.A.A.F. and Capt Reynolds was sure that it could be used to recover from vertical stabilizer stalls. They did it successfully the first time but lost it on the second attempt. I have a newspaper article somewhere about it. I also read the cockpit voice recorder after the mishap, but tried my best to forget what I had read.

Take Care,

Jerry "fenmonster" Fenwick

Edited by fenmonster

Well this one is in the way back machine but I do remember reading about the "technique" that the exchange pilot was teaching, a one word response was "WHAT"!

I don't remember what exactly what it was but it did involve extreme asymmetry between engines, I really want to say the words "ground idle" were involved. I may be mixing it with a different incident but the asymmetry involved was on that level.

All I know is in the end they all contracted a bad case of EPDS (exchange pilot death syndrome), he was supposed to be a really good stick too, also remember that it took more than one person to do this dance too, no pilot would have killed me but what I let him kill me that is.

Dan

I think this is the one you are thinking of.

From what I remember the exchange pilot was demo'ing something that used extreme asymmetrical power. From all I remember the guy was a good stick and a pretty good guy - guess momentary loss of judgment can bite anybody. Either that or its the Aussies getting back at us for sending duke bender to them as an exchange pilot - poor Aussies!!

This was about all I found on the net, not too much out there other than a summary. Nobody in any of the normal crash pages on the net seems to have a narrative on this one.

Dan

April 28, 1992 : C-130E, 64-0501, c/n 3985, of the 317th Tactical Airlift Wing, fitted with All Weather Airborne Delivery System, AWADS, lizard paint scheme as of August 1991, crashed into Blewett Falls Lake, North Carolina.

Lost when flying on exchange duty with the USAF, we heard down here that he lost control of the airplane and I believe all were lost.

His name was Reynolds I thought there was a posting some time ago on here but it does not come up on search.

Can any one throw any light on nthis matter.

Thanks

Col

Recalling from some CRM information and schoolhouse papers and memory...spring of '92 a SOLL trainer near Pope AFB with a "stand-up IP" tactics guru aboard. "Idle hands are the devil's workshop", time-to-kill before "darkness" and a simulated 3-engines maximum performance tactical climb to be practiced. Airspeed was allowed to decrease below Vmca and further to "out of aileron too" and control was lost. Final nail was a "knock-it-off" type response that saw symmetrical thrusts reduced toward or to idle. We do know that there is a significant difference between power-on stall speed and power-off stall speed and the consequences of stalling one or both wings with significant yaw and/or rudder deflection.

This was within a few months of the Evansville Indiana accident where incorrect rudder application during high power asymmetrical thrust maneuver resulted in a loss-of-control accident.

As I recall MAC came down shortly thereafter and said no more simulated two-engines in the airplane, and no more simulated three engines takeoffs in the airplane, and less copilot three-engines training.

As I recall. its been quite a few years...I personally knew one of the pilots in a seat...a very smart guy with a technical education; extremely surprised that this happened to him. I believe that the exchange officer was not in a seat, as I recall.

Heard about the same type of event happened on an AC-130H out over the Gulf of Mexico when I was in training during the mid-90's. Something about two engines on the same side with a full rudder deflection also in the same direction. If remebering coerrectly, the EWO saw the dount on the bottom of his ADI, never flew again.

Hey Duke fender Bender there is a name not mentioned for a long time down here ..

OK Marks Accident was whilst he was on exchange. he was the IP but standing and not in the seat. They were demonstrating an engine failure zoom climb. As the airspeed declined Boff said "knock it off" to an Aussie, that means stop what you are doing. Some how that was missidentified as pulling the power off even more and the AC stalled. terminology is so important.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hi Col,

Bob's info is correct. I was at Pope at the time of this mishap. They were on a low level but had some extra time and Capt Reynolds was demonstrating some sort of ridge cresting maneuver used to recover from the vertical stabilizer stall problem. The gist was this was a maneuver supposedly used in the R.A.A.F. and Capt Reynolds was sure that it could be used to recover from vertical stabilizer stalls. They did it successfully the first time but lost it on the second attempt. I have a newspaper article somewhere about it. I also read the cockpit voice recorder after the mishap, but tried my best to forget what I had read.

Take Care,

Jerry "fenmonster" Fenwick

I also served with Jerry as a crew chief and had flown with this crew just days before. We were all devastated and I too for years tried to forget what we read. In any case, it was a maneuver that will hopefully never be performed again...

George Moraitis

This practice was never followed whilst I was in the RAAF.

People who I have spoken to, have never seen it done, and to quote one FE if they had tried it with me on board, I would have had my steel ruler out.

A silly accident that never should have happened.

Regards

Col

• 10 years later...

28 years ago today in North Carolina 9 men who served our country lost their lives in a C-130 crash, April 28 1992 in Blewett Falls N.C. I’d like to recognize a new memorial to honor them and pay tribute to the love they led and left behind. 

Gabriel Magrane
Thomas E. Rowe
Michael E. Jones
John G. Urbansky
Gregg F. Johnston
Stephen F. Sablone
Michael S. Carpenter
Shelton M. Clark
Mark W. Reynolds

*(If anyone connected to these Airmen would like to place something under the paver, it will be laid this Memorial Day, please contact me 509 218-4800

70A96610-7964-4996-8B5F-DEDE959DD01E.jpeg