C-130 Humor

118th AES Retired

Not Herk Humor per se but do the oldtimers (myself included) remember when they first put super glue on bench stock?

At Pope we had a Radar shop chief that was very predictable: each morning he'd walk in the shop, pick his coffee mug (bucket) off his desk and proceed to the 55 gallon percolator then in use. He had a nice sheet of plexi on his desk with everything in the world under it. One morning he grabbed his cup and took the whole top of the desk with him. He was only steamed for a bit and really took it pretty well, though after that the shop bench stock monitor had to keep the glue under lock and key so grave shift couldn't get to it. (Couldn't have been us swing shifters, we never did anything wrong....or if you asked the other shifts we never did anything, period).

Shortly after I joined the ANG, I got a few drops of super glue on one of my hands. The boss said to go to the clinic. The nurse handed me a bottle, and said try this. It turned out to be surgical glue, not acetone. Then she said to try washing it off with lava. Both hands were a green mess. It had to wear off.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changed out a engine RPM gauge on det once. Had a newbie navigator hanging out with us, wanting to see the maintenance side of things. Had him spinning the prop by hand so we could op check the gauge.

Pilots were always wanting us to get them when we had to blow the emergency brake bottle, so they could "see what it felt like" Sooooo, Being an industrious Airframer, when it came time to hand pump the bomb bay doors open and closed for a phase inspection, I'd always try to get a Nav/Comm (officer, that would be doing it in flight in an emergency) to come down and "see what it felt like" Nobody ever volunteered twice for that fun. < It's about as fun as hand pumping the Cargo Ramp / Pressure Door on a C-130, actually probably worse, because if you stopped to take a break on the bomb bay doors they would start to close on you.

Was it just us, or did any of you guys ever send the new troop over to supply to pick up some "prop wash"?

That was done at VP-31 (P-3's) at Moffet Field, CA. The newbie took a bucket and went and stood behind the rinse rack as a P-3 taxied through... Needless to say that was frowned upon by pretty much everyone. Have to say it was a pretty industrious thinking on the newbie's point.

• 5 weeks later...

Not C-130 humor but when I was active duty AF I worked transient alert. When we got a new guy we would show them how the boundry layer control on F-4s worked. After a F-4 sat in the rain the BLC ducts in the wing leading edge would fill with water. When the pilot dropped the flaps after cranking up the bleed air would blow the water out. We would have a new guy stand behind the wing and get soaked. You really did get to see how it workd.:eek:

Ha! I loved that one when I was a Phantom Phixer! Helped to cool you off on a hot day, too.

• 2 weeks later...

When I got on the flightline as a newby or wiper my new crew tried pulling the prop wash trick on me.My father was a crew chief on B-17's in WW2,so I already knew all the tricks.So I think that I pissed off the guys when I told them that I was not going to play their games.

I had heard about it before I join the up. So when my crew chief told me to go get some "Jet Wash". I said ok and went off toward our squadron supply room. Never went there tho, I went to the barracks. When I came in the next day for roll call my crew chief wanted to know where I went. I told him I looked evey where that I could think of but could not find any "Jet Wash" and that when I went back out to te Aircraft. That he had left so I did too. He never said a word after that.

• 4 weeks later...