FAA Certificate Change

SonnyJ

This has probably made the board before since this came out in 2008. I heard if you have a plastic certificate you are good to go but be on the safe side and check.

FAA Issues Final Rule On Airmen Certificate Replacements

February 29, 2008 — The FAA this week issued a final rule that will require all pilots to replace their paper airmen certificate with a counterfeit-resistant plastic certificate by March 31, 2010. After that date paper pilot certificates may no longer be used to exercise piloting privileges. Three years after this date, certain other paper airmen certificates, such as those for flight engineers and mechanics, may no longer be used to exercise the privileges authorized by those certificates. Student pilot certificates, temporary certificates, and authorizations are not affected under this rule.

These changes are in response to concerns raised in the FAA Drug Enforcement Assistance Act. The purpose of this rule is to upgrade the quality of data and documents to assist federal, state, and local agencies to enforce the nation's drug laws.

Plastic certificates

On February 28 2008, the FAA released its final rule <http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01jan20081800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/pdf/E8-3827.pdf> requiring pilots and airmen to switch from their paper pilot certificates to the new counterfeit resistant plastic certificate. Pilots have until March 31, 2010, and all other airmen have until March 31, 2013, to convert their certificates in order to continue to exercise their privileges. After the 2010 and 2013 deadlines, pilots and airman who have not converted will have to request and receive a new plastic certificates before exercising their privileges.

Also…

AMTs need to get "plastic" certificate

Certified airframe and powerplant mechanics are required to upgrade to a new plastic certificate or lose their A&P privileges. The regulation went into effect on March 31 last year with little fanfare, leaving most mechanics in the dark. An FAA spokesman said, “Except for temporary certificates issued under §65.13, the holder of a paper certificate may not exercise the privileges of that certificate after March 31, 2013.†Application can be made at the FAA’s registry Web site for a $2.00 fee.

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/amsrvs/logon.asp <https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/amsrvs/logon.asp>

Pilots, especially, but also Flight Engineers, should get their certificates noted "English proficient". The plastic certificate one recieves then will probably have a new number to remove SSNs if that was the old number. I am not sure about Mechanic's certificates but I believe they will be exchanged the same. I submit that it is a very good idea to get this done on all FAA certs.

When you are on the FAA home site click on Airmen Certificate and you will get the following drop down menu. Just click on what you need to do. Fill out the information and they will send you a new certificate.

Airmen

Airmen Certification

Airmen Certification FAQs

Integrated Airmen Certification and/or Rating Application (IACRA)

Become a Pilot

Become a Mechanic

Contact the Airmen Certification Branch

Search Airmen Certificate Information

Airmen Online Services

Update Your Address

Replace an Airman Certificate (License)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my new plastic pilot cert in the mail today and it says "English proficiant" on it without my requesting it. Waiting for my A&P cert to see what it says. The issue date shows the date they put on it when they make the card. Don't like that too much as I got all my certs back in 1973 and now it shows 2009. Sucks! By the way your picture is not on it but Wilber and Orvilles are. Ha ah. Bill

Edited by Spectre623

Just got my new plastic pilot cert in the mail today and it says "English proficiant" on it without my requesting it. Waiting for my A&P cert to see what it says. The issue date shows the date they put on it when they make the card. Don't like that too much as I got all my certs back in 1973 and now it shows 2009. Sucks! By the way your picture is not on it but Wilber and Orvilles are. Ha ah. Bill

I agree! Keep your paper cert's for personal souvenier purposes. The date stamp of issue is just wrong!

Kurt

I just ordered my new pilot certificate. I was looking at the samples which feature the Wright brothers and it reminded me when in the late 80s or very early 90s I attended the IA recertification meeting in Birmingham at the Southern Flight Museum. I was fortunate to meet Mr. Glenn Messer while I was there. He had only recently lost his sight and it had not been too long prior to that time that he was still flying. His mechanic certificate number was #174 or 175 as I recall and Wilbur signed off on it.

Ray