Fuel Quantity Resistance to Ground

GACFaja

We maintain the analog systems on a 62-model E and 64-66 model HC-130Ps, and fuel quantity is our #1 issue.

I'm putting together a fuel quantity training box that we can hook into an aircraft and simulate open signal lines, open compensators, etc. One of the guys came up with an idea to put a variable resistor in-line from shield to ground to simulate bad solder joints, corrosion and whatnot. Does anyone have an idea about how much resistance to ground it would take to start interfering with indication? While I'm at it, does anyone have any good sources of info on the F/Q system as a whole? The tech data is...well, it's tech data. :)

Thanks!

It has been a while... one problem we had was just keeping the testers leads in good working order. We used the GTF-6 but then started using the battery operated units in the small aluminum cases. Battery operated units were very handy, but the test lead setup seemed to be unnecessarily complicated.

Being able to find the parts to build an entire tank system, including all the in line connectors would be very helpful. A wet tank would be super. Wing flap connectors were always a corrosion mess. Soldering new plugs in the overhead or the indicators was always a nightmare.

That's all for now...It's just too painful!

• 1 month later...

The best training aid I can think of is to get rid of all the splices in the flap well area especially the non evironmental ones. We used to replace cabling during ISO that we knew had splices in them. It took us a couple years, but it resulted in very few F/Q problems. Most after that turned out to be indicator problems.

I have some old copies of fuel quantity values that I used to keep in a binder small enough to fit in my BDU pocket. I will try to find it and post it here.

Rich

Having the same issue with a talon 2, #1 fuel quantity gauge keeps getting E1 and E6 error codes, has been like this for months. I have 'heard' that during wing box replacements, they were cutting the wires and splicing them back togeather, but thats just what i have 'heard'.

• 8 months later...