Dumped car in ocean

cfisher

I just got back from a American Legion meeting and a RET. Air force Major asked me if i knew about a c130 crew back in thr 60's that was trying to sneak a car in to the US from Germany and some how they found out customes knew about it so they dumped it in to the ocean before landing. Seems like i can rember somthing about that but i am not sure. Can any body rember any thing about this.

Hiya' Fish,

Come to thinlk of it, I do recall the story. I'll call an old crewdog that related it to me once to get more/any info. on it. I can tell you that some crew's (including myself) hauled "personal items" on the plane. The key was to have it "packaged officially". I used to haul around furniture that I would purchase on some TDY's, and the Loadie would help me wrap/package and label it as "Flag Officer Professional Equipment=Authorization Required". The general's name would always be "Lt.Gen. David C. Hutchins" (we got the name off of the back of a Phil Collins CD; his recording engineer.) As for a car........that would take some ba--'s!

Kurt

I think thats just one of those stories that gets around.

Theres a story floating around the Coast guard similar to this.

Our story goes something like this...

A c130 crew form AIRSTA X flys to hawaii to do mission XYZ and get a rental car whily TAD. On the rental agreement they read that the car can be returned to any rental car ageny in the US. They figure if it says it, it must be true. So they load up the car, head back over the pond, once back where ever they are from they return the car. Car company freaks but cant do anything....

Another story is similar but with power carts, aircrew flys in, they have a hard time getting a power cart, once they finally get one they decide to keep it. They leave and the CO of the unit calls them up looking for a power cart and makes them come back. They deep six it before getting back. No more power cart.

It might be true but it might just be sea stories.

Edited by Coaster
spelling

Late one evening in 1958 I helped dnload a new E typ Jag from a B-47E at Lockborne AFB... There was a flt of '47's rote'ing back from England and this fellow had to stop for fuel at Kef and Goose while the others pressed on..(couldn't make the tanker between Kef and Goose) The ferry tank was missing and the pallette had the car strapped in place... We lowered it as we would have done the ferry tank.. After everything was cleaned up the next day we noticed a bunch of security surrounding the aircraft... I don't think things went well after that...:(

Jack......

When I rotated back from Mactan in Nov 66 I was offered the chance to fly as a crewmember on a unit aircraft going to the states for repairs. I got the tent boy to make me a large box with no top, drove my Honda 90 cc to the aircraft ,drained the fuel, strapped it down on the cargo floor and put the box over it. When we got to McClellan I got some fuel from a line truck, filled it up and drove it to Travis, my next duty station.

Don't know bout cars but we hauled a lot of King Crab out of Alaska. Put them in the upper cargo door and loadmaster would open while taxeing in to park.

Lucky Customs never ask to look there. Maybe thats because we left one box on the cargo floor for them to confiscate..Ed

There was a story that circulated around CRB in the late 60's about a Spare crew that had aquired a jeep from some army outpost. They had private transport until they needed gas and when they needed gas they had no POL card. The jeep was confiscated by the motor pool.

no we went to the paint shop got some white paint and made a bunch of serial number stencils one of us would go in to fill out the paper work and say we lost the cc and just put the fake serial number on the ticket :)

There was a story that circulated around CRB in the late 60's about a Spare crew that had aquired a jeep from some army outpost. They had private transport until they needed gas and when they needed gas they had no POL card. The jeep was confiscated by the motor pool.

Bob, make that an "Igloo" crew and you have a true story. We picked up a load w/jeep, but as usual, no manifest (We'll send it on the next outbound"). Air freight refused it when we landed at Danang, so we kept it for the rest of the shuttle. Passed it along to a replacement crew,then got it back when we inputted a week later. Carried it on the ramp a month or so until we got word some Army brass was upset over his lost jeep. It was "found" at Bu Dop or An Khe, can't remember for sure.

Don't know bout cars but we hauled a lot of King Crab out of Alaska. Put them in the upper cargo door and loadmaster would open while taxeing in to park.

Lucky Customs never ask to look there. Maybe thats because we left one box on the cargo floor for them to confiscate..Ed

Why would you have to go through customs when you came from one state to the another state?

Dan

I think thats just one of those stories that gets around.

Theres a story floating around the Coast guard similar to this.

Our story goes something like this...

A c130 crew form AIRSTA X flys to hawaii to do mission XYZ and get a rental car whily TAD. On the rental agreement they read that the car can be returned to any rental car ageny in the US. They figure if it says it, it must be true. So they load up the car, head back over the pond, once back where ever they are from they return the car. Car company freaks but cant do anything....

It might be true but it might just be sea stories.

I did hear of a Southern Air Transport crew leasing a car in Lisbon and putting it on their airplane, flying to another city in Portugal and turning it in there with almost no miles put on the car.

Sea story? War story? Funny story.

Don R.