Who knows what this is on the vert stab?

polcat

Oh sure, how the hell else would one remove and install a 2'x3'x18" antenna while trying to hold onto the ladder!

Tiny, this falls into the same catagory as the tool kits we were issued at Pope before the chit system came into being:

Drive Punch, 1 ea

Center Punch, 1 ea

Chisel 1 ea

But no hammer (but there was a pretty hefty cresent wrench).

And I helped change one of those VOR antennas once....because someone damaged it with a deicer at a TDY location.

• 5 months later...

Ladder. Been there, done that. F@#$ing scary!!!! Used to be a rotating beacon on top of the

fin, had to change the bulb in the absence of an electrician ........

Casey Question

B,E,H and some L382G

All the pix i have of J models show the ladder fittings as still there. If you think the side ladder is scary, try the leading edge ladder that straddles the fin root fillet fairing. It's used for replacing the HF long wires on the leading edge.

Bob M

Ladder scary yes but not as scary as have to use an over the wing sling to hang a motor.

Agree... We were TDY somewhere and had to change an engine and the crane was down for main. and they showed us one of those scary slings...

Our team was flown into a German AFB near Munich back in the late 80's when my EC-130H landed with a prop problem. We ended up changing the prop using a very old (I would say WW2 era) crane that scared the %^^& out of us..

Myself I hated those troop door ladders we used at Sembach on our EC-130's..