Turbine Ovht Problem on a 65' P model

Nc97

Got a turbine overheat indication on the T-handle and on the instrument panel and I can't figure out where my problem is. I've checked all four of the detectors in the clam shell (checked good) and installed a new keyer but those dang lights in the T-handle keep blinking. Any help ya'll can provide would be great.

Might have a bleed air leak, don't rule that out, I helped change the

Y duct on the aft inboard side of the engine a couple months ago. It

was cracked and blowing hot air on the detectors.

Turbine, not nacelle. Just wondering if the bearing support case is

cracked ..... man-on-stand ......

Has the EE shop tested the detectors. More often that not the boots that cover them get moisture build up and rot the connections. Don't rule out a bad harness , check all clamps as they are just metal ADELS and can cause chafing and ground out the sensor causing a light.

Man on stand however probably won't show a thing with the doors open .

Disconnect each detector one at a time and see which one is causing the issue.

If all four are disconnected and you still have your condition look at the wiring above the turbine. (the area inspected during an engine change). (wires burn in this area and sag onto the turbine case or slide in the clamps and cause overheat indications.)

If no defect or cant see the area disconnect your wires at the terminal board (TB107 for our AC). If the indication stops your problem is wiring between the TB and detectors. You may need to drop the motor and rewire or "tape" the wires with high temp tape... If the wires are burnt might want to rewire but usually can get by with tape until rework or a Phase/ISO.

If the condition persists after the TB is disconnected you need to break out the wiring diagram and chase it backwards to find your ground.(wing break, overhead disconnect)

Lets us know what you find...my bet is detector or wiring above turbine area....

Edited by NATOPS1

Well I do thank all for your suggestions but it appears I looked into this problem way too deep. I really feel dumb for not checking out the lights in the T-handle itself. I forget which TCTO modifies this, but there is a little piece of plastic that is supposed to slide between the top and bottom light bulb holders. Someone had removed it and uppon reinstalling they caught the ground contact on one of the bottom bulbs and had it jammed against the ground contact of the top bulb holder. So after three long days of troubleshooting and digging around in the 2-13, all it took to fix it was a flat head screwdriver. I'm dissappointed with myself for not catching that but I can guarantee it will be the first thing I check from now on. Thanks to all again.

NEXT time I will start with the Fire Handle Light bulbs....remove one at a time to see if the indication goes away.....every new day brings a new way....

Disconnect each detector one at a time and see which one is causing the issue.

If all four are disconnected and you still have your condition look at the wiring above the turbine. (the area inspected during an engine change). (wires burn in this area and sag onto the turbine case or slide in the clamps and cause overheat indications.)

If no defect or cant see the area disconnect your wires at the terminal board (TB107 for our AC). If the indication stops your problem is wiring between the TB and detectors. You may need to drop the motor and rewire or "tape" the wires with high temp tape... If the wires are burnt might want to rewire but usually can get by with tape until rework or a Phase/ISO.

If the condition persists after the TB is disconnected you need to break out the wiring diagram and chase it backwards to find your ground.(wing break, overhead disconnect)

Hy C130 world, I had got a simular problem, but it was just the fire indicator who was blinking!

I'm for the moment @ Kisangani (Congo) where we had an night of pooring rain, and in the morning the master warning light was flashing, but no T-handles.

I did the test to look what engine it was, but no luck

I thougth it was the relay, so I gave it a little smack.

Than we ruled out by pulling CB's, and it was the turbine Overheat! #3

we opend the tail and water was flushing out the section, we checked all probes, they where ok, but the connector on the lefthand door was full of moister and full of humidity, cleaned it, put some silicone spray in it and done.

look for moister and humidity in the contacts!

greetz from CONGO:D