Combat Talon I aircraft going to Bone Yard

Skip Davenport

From Max

Combat Talon I aircraft going to Bone Yard:

1) Four Aircraft will be flown from Gowen Field, Boise ID.

a) Thee will go to Davis Monthan AFB, AZ. One will go to Hurlburt AFB, FL.

B) 63-7785, 64-0555 (Ol' Shakey), 64-0572 to the Bone Yard and 64-0567 down to Hurbie (this tail # is historically significant)

c) Flying around spring time

This will be a said day for us old SOF Talon I crewmembers

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

64-0567 down to Hurbie (this tail # is historically significant)

Tell us more about the historic significantance of 567?

Muff

I'm working on that --They all have historic significance i.e. 64-0523 the first delivered plus first STAR bird and flown on the Son Tay Raid on 3 engines (by a 7th crew) probably the first historic Talon event. And she bombed the Nimitz into submission! :)

But hey, I didn't make the decision!

Edited by Skip Davenport

567 was the airplane that they used to transport Manuel Noriega out of Panama.....among other things.

At Nha Trang AB, RVN in the 69-70 time frame, it was designated "Romeo Charlie".

It was also the development airplane for prototype installation and tests of many of the "Mod 90" improvements.

Edited by TalonOneTF

What are those bars stretched across the nose? And if that's a "delivery" why does the paint on the radome look botched?

yokes for the Fulton Recovery System -- they are extended for the Surface To Air Recovery (STAR) the raydome was painted black it just looks like this was a paint over the green and it has worn off.

This will be a said day for us old SOF Talon I crewmembers

We're not quite done with the rest of them yet, so there's still some history to be made yet.

The writing, however, is on the wall. Rumors carry the rest of them at least through 2012, some through 2015.

64-0523 the first delivered ....

QUOTE]

Skip, the first two Heavy Chain airplanes were delivered prior to 523, but were not folded into the Combat Talon until the 1974 timeframe.

Also, in the picture of 567 delivery, the paint on the nose radome had been painted green to match the new airplane paint scheme, but radar requirements mandated that the radome paint remain black--so, the green was sanded off, and repainted with the correct anti-static black epoxy before the airplane flew away for delivery.

John

Edited by TalonOneTF

Actually, the requirement was not that the radome be black, but have the proper antistatic finishing. There was a black neoprene coating which could not be overcoated, a black polyurethane coating that was sometimes overcoated, and an black epoxy antistatic coating that was used if a glossy overcoat was required.

I'd really like to see 7785 and 0565 go on display somewhere. Nothing is slated for the Air Force Museum?

We're still flying 0565. I think she's one of the latest to come out of PDM, though I am not sure about that. 7785, I understand, is going to DM right now. Rumors--and only rumors, nothing definative--have it this tail may end up at Eglin.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There was a nice little write up on this in the July issue of Aviation History, page 9. Good picture too... 555 (true to her grumpy disposition) went into AMARG with her gear pinned down. Five of the guys that launched her out thought it might be a good idea right after to head down to Jackpot City, just south of the Idaho border to play all fives....... (555, flies on the 5th day of the 5th month). Hmmm... seems like a good way to funnel your perdiem into the local community at 5-times the normal rate, but I hope they did OK.

Skip, I just saw the update on the 3 Combat Talons going to Davis-Monthan. I was just there about 2 weeks ago. I told he bus driver they would be getting some special Herks soon. I took about 500 photos of the planes at 3 places. 1. AMARG, 2. PimaAir and Space Museum and 3. The private junk yards that had aircraft in them. I would have taken more but the battery and me were both about to expire. The bus tour at the Boneyard was about 1 1/2 hours and we didn't get to see the entire boneyard.

I was amazed at the number of planes I have never seen before. I also got to see some aircraft I might have serviced while at Travis. would like to go back some day for another look. I will post some photos soon. Take care.

Wil