Combat Talon I aircraft going to Bone Yard

Skip Davenport

How many Talon I's are there left? From Wiki I can only figure 10.

You'd think with all the acft museums available, they would be able to find a place for them instead tucked away in the desert.

Maybe it's just me, but I hate seeing acft retire.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Triple Nickel was one of the Talons at Nha Trang in '69-70, when I was there with the 15th SOS. We didn't use tail numbers on paperwork, so all the birds were referenced as "Romeo". 555 was known as Romeo Bravo; 523 was Alpha; 567 was Charlie; and 568 was Delta.

559 is currently in PDM and is slated for the boneyard in a year and a half, but we just got finished replacing all upper T/E panels and outer wing flaptracks. Maybe with the outer wing refurbish they will let her fly longer.

567 is safely home at Hurbie. There is an induction ceremony / party planned some time in the future, but probably looking at a few months from now, so keep your schedules open. I’m a retired PAVE guy, and there are few things I enjoyed over the years TDY quite as much as drinking free Talon beer. I’ll bring my coin……see ya there.

The other 3 are retired in AMARG. Don't worry, they won't be cut up and they can't ever be sold. As for the museum question; we tried. But the regulations state that the museum is fiscally responsible for the delivery of the aircraft, and has to show funds adequate to display / maintain the aircraft in a manner befitting....and money's just a little tight right now.

I was the Engineer on the three aircraft delivered to AMARG this week. That would be our crew taxiing out on "Triple Nickel" with the Idaho Fin Flash on the test hop.

We flew 63-7785 down on 3 May 2010, 64-0555 was flown down on 5 May 2010, and 64-0572 was flown down on 7 May 2010.

Herk1

I was the Engineer on the three aircraft delivered to AMARG this week. That would be our crew taxiing out on "Triple Nickel" with the Idaho Fin Flash on the test hop.

We flew 63-7785 down on 3 May 2010, 64-0555 was flown down on 5 May 2010, and 64-0572 was flown down on 7 May 2010.

Herk1

Where's the AOA probe?

Maybe someday 7785 can be configured to honor 0547. Since 7785 isn't even its real tail number why not let it stand in for 0547 Stray Goose 1.

Just a thought,

Engine Mike

7785 is one of the Eagle Claw birds. I would like to see it preserved in a museum honoring that mission. If not 7785, then maybe 0565...

There's so much history in these planes, it's hard to see any of them go into AMARG. Once in AMARG, it's tough to get them back out and before you know it, engines, wings, etc. are gone...

Maybe someday 7785 can be configured to honor 0547. Since 7785 isn't even its real tail number why not let it stand in for 0547 Stray Goose 1.

Just a thought,

Engine Mike

Well, 64-0547 was a Skyhook (Fulton equipped) airplane, and 7785 (aka 64-0507) never had the Skyhook system installed....

John

That would be an HC-130 Style nose , yokes and guide wires which would be a simple transition for a static display bird.

Engine Mike

Simple transition -- maybe -- but who would want to spend the $$ to mod a bird the STAR mod for a static display bird when you can get one going into retirement already modded?

I remember when triple nick came thru Mildenhall about 10yrs ago.... had a fuel cell issue... the USAFE guys towed it in and out of the barn three times (saying it was fixed?)..... AFSOC had enough of the "towing practice"..... sent in a dedicated AFSOC team... a/c was FINALLY fixed and flown home.