Combat Talon I aircraft going to Bone Yard

Skip Davenport

I remember when triple nick came thru Mildenhall about 10yrs ago.... had a fuel cell issue... the USAFE guys towed it in and out of the barn three times (saying it was fixed?)..... AFSOC had enough of the "towing practice"..... sent in a dedicated AFSOC team... a/c was FINALLY fixed and flown home.

Umm... Wow, that totally sounds like how fuel problems still go down over here today. :D The price of being a tenant unit I guess.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0547 didn't have the droop nose of the modern Talon at it time being lost n 1969. It had the HC style pug nose according to the pics in the gallery

Engine Mike

The "droop" nose radomes was for the APQ-122(v)8 radar. The airplanes with the 122 radar didn't begin deliveries from LAS-Ontario until the '71-'72 timeframe. I think 561 was the first Skyhook Talon in the mod program. Two standard nosed Heavy Chain airplanes preceeded the Talons in the modification.

John

They took 'em all off a while back...freaky - have to look closely to tell it's a Talon now! That IDANG flash would've really thrown me...

Sad day, indeed.

0572 still has the AOA probe...I'm thinking it was the only one not modified. Made it easy to pick out.

I took these photos of 567 while she was at Boise. I'm building an archive of the retirement in general, and also what I can find on these four Talons specifically; emails, documents (like the 913's and hand receipts for the 3 in AMARG), pictures, Thigpens' book, etc. What's the story with the goose? That, and these photos will also go into the archive.

567Bosie3.jpg

567Bosie3a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Skip, Bob Daley is getting various pictures as these a/c arrive. I am in the position to photo them as they get moved. All 3 are now AMARG with 7785 now on the washrack. If you need pix as they get moved and stored, send me a PM for where to send them.

Bob M

Heard from Wombat that 567 went to Hurlburt because that is the one AFSOC requested.

He also sent some info on all the E model Talons.

I'll try to post it.

Bob

I suppose as time goes by, things or events or missions will be declassified to show other "cool stuff" that the fleet may have been involved with. With the current operations underway, and the fleet still alive and kicking, I bet that this will take awhile.

Just like the Pavelow- the T-1 is better to go out on top then just about anywhere else.

Bob

I see 567 every day this week as I drive past her for sim refresher! Glad she will be preserved, sad they're going away, and hopefull the Obama administration will pull funding for MC-J and keep the MC-E alive beyond 2015!!! ;)

I would love to see the Talon flying beyond 2015--but I am truly looking forward to the Combat Talon III. As capable as the Combat Talon is, it will be interesting to see what forty years of combat experience mixed with innovation can come up with.