Rate of sink

alkhaldi_raed

Hello.i want some info about the landing rate of sink limitation with fuel in the out board tank more than 6600lb...is the rate of sink is the same as rate of descent and if not what's the way?

Reduced rate of descent or (sink rate) at touchdown due to the increased weight in the outboard tank.(300fpm)

The wings are full cantilever (not supported) and the more fuel in the outboad tank the more bending at touchdown therfore reduce descent (rate of descent/ sink rate...feet per minute, whatever you want to call it).

You may want to look at the Speed Verses Altitude charts and see if you are staying below the airspeeds for the area of operation (A,B,C or D).

Ps. What did you ever find out about you throttle moving in flight?

Sink rate or Rate of Descent are the same thing, its just you normally see it referred to as sink rate during the landing phase of flight but it can accuratlyl be used for other phases of flight as well. Thats why you will see it written as "Landing Sink Rate" in some places, just to ensure you know which phase of flight they are referring to.

As to seeing it on the VVI, its true you really cant see it on a normal analog VVI as they tend to lag a few seconds but when I was on EC130E's, the talon guys had ISVVI's (Instantaneous Vertical Velocity Indicators) installed on a couple of our airplanes for the hostage rescue mission in the 70's.

They are supposed to give you almost real time vertical change information, would have to have a pilot chime in on how "real time" they were.

Dan

Edited by Dan Wilson

• 4 weeks later...

Rate of sink and rate of descent are one and the same. They are different ways of saying rate of altitude change, or speed of which an aircraft is changing altitude, in a negitive direction.

The vertical speed indicator (VSI or VVI) displays two different types of information:

1. Trend information which shows an immediate indication of an increase or decrease in the airplane's rate of climb or descent.

2. Rate information shows a stabilized rate of change in altitude.

The indication between two stabilized rates of change is commonly referred to lag.

Instantaneous vertical speed indicators (IVSIs) incorporate accelerometers to compensate for the lag in the typical VSI/VVI.

As for max sink rate with XXX fuel in XXX tanks during a particular phase of flight...that should be in the -1 Flight manual.

Just trying to help. :)

The vertical speed indicator (VSI or VVI) displays two different types of information:

1. Trend information which shows an immediate indication of an increase or decrease in the airplane's rate of climb or descent.

2. Rate information shows a stabilized rate of change in altitude.

Are you using some new kind of digital VVI where you are?

The only VVI or IVVI I know of only has a single analog needle.:confused:

Dan

Are you using some new kind of digital VVI where you are?

The only VVI or IVVI I know of only has a single analog needle.:confused:

Dan

No, I haven't seen a C-130 with a IVSI indicator in it. The old VVI was replaced with a VSI/TA indicator in C-130's with TCAS installed. The VSI/TA Indicator is a fancy LCD VVI that also shows traffic information as well as a single needle for vertical speed.

The Trend information is seen in the needle movement from the time the single needle starts moving until it stabilizes. Rate information is seen when the needle stabilizes. It's the same in all VVIs/VSIs, but the accelerometers in a IVSI change the information that is seen when watching that needle move.

328X1

I was stretching pretty hard to remember my first AFSC. I thought I had it right until I just this moment did another www search. That just makes me mad. I joined the board with 325X1 and asked Casey to change it to 328X1 because I did a single search on 328X1, found Integrated Avionics and figured that was it...it wasn't. :( I guess I'll be back to asking Casey to put it back to 325X1...dang. LOL!

You know when you change AFSCs so many freaking times, it's hard to keep up with them! I'm an old-ish (compared to some) Instrument troop. 10 years on slick C-130Es and C-130H3s. Those H3s were pretty sweet. We had one fly in with 18hrs on it...you could still smell the paint drying. LOL!

328X1, I've seen that number before. Oh yea, that was my Spec code when we were just Nav/RADAR techs.