What a loser

Dan Wilson

I really really feel bad for our guys over in Afghanistan when buttmunching idiot's like this are in charge of our boots on the ground. Dear God, is he McNamaras kid or something?

I think he needs a good bayonetting, how can you have peace with a group who's sole goal is to destroy you and your way of life.

McChrystal Focuses on Peace With Taliban

January 25, 2010

Agence France-PresseThe NATO commander in Afghanistan said his troop surge could lead to a negotiated peace with the Taliban, in an interview published today ahead of a major conference this week on the war.

U.S. Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal also told the Financial Times he hopes his allies will leave Thursday's meeting in London with a "renewed commitment" to the increasingly bloody conflict.

By using the 30,000-strong surge in U.S. troops to secure territory stretching from the Taliban's southern heartlands to Kabul, the general said he aims to weaken the insurgency so much its leaders would accept a political settlement.

"As a Soldier, my personal feeling is that there's been enough fighting," said McChrystal.

"I believe that a political solution to all conflicts is the inevitable outcome. And it's the right outcome," he added.

Asked if he would be content to see Taliban leaders in a future government in the country, the general said: "I think any Afghans can play a role if they focus on the future, and not the past."

The U.S. troop surge, announced by President Obama in December, is pouring tens of thousands of extra troops into Afghanistan this year on top of 70,000 already there.

More than 113,000 international soldiers are fighting the Taliban under U.S. and NATO command and losing soldiers almost daily, in the conflict which started with the US-led invasion of 2001.

As major powers prepare to map the way forward in Afghanistan at the London conference, McChrystal urged: "I'd like everybody to walk out of London with a renewed commitment, and that commitment is to the right outcome for the Afghan people."

http://www.military.com/news/article/mcchrystal-focuses-on-peace-with-taliban.html?ESRC=airforce-a.nl

This guy seems to be more concerned for the enemy than his own soldiers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it sound as though he refers to his troops as nothing more than cannon fodder? His mission is to conquer the enemy, not worry about what is best for THEM. Let the politicians work on the peace, he is supposed to be fighting a war. I agree with you Dan, this guy should be strung up and used for bayonet practice. We need another Gen. Patton, not this guy. You want to win a war, you so over power the enemy that they no longer want to fight, ever.

I guess we served in a different time.

Looks like just another run-of-the-mill "liberal" general. Just what I expected the current administration would put in there. I can't understand why "Touchy Feelys" want to serve in the military any way. I guess their motivation is to try to change it. Hence the remark "...my personal feeling is there's been enough fighting". For crying out loud! and this is our combat leader.

I really really feel bad for our guys over in Afghanistan when buttmunching idiot's like this are in charge of our boots on the ground. Dear God, is he McNamaras kid or something?

I think he needs a good bayonetting, how can you have peace with a group who's sole goal is to destroy you and your way of life.

I don't know who said it first but "the job of the military is to kill the enemy and break his things". Period. NOT wonder about their feelings. The people in charge at all levels need to figure this out real quick.

Ok, I might bet flamed for this, but the reason I retired in 1993 was the simple reason that I did not want to serve under a Commander in Chief, (Clinton), that had dodged the draft and protested me as a Vietnam Vet. Maybe I'm old school, but military mindset is to fight wars. Ugly as that is, it is the way wars have been won since the dawn of time. A leader like this sounds like he has less concern for his troops than the enemy and looking good for the man in charge. I take it as quite a slap in the face for all that have worn the uniform. (I have a son in the Army at this time)