Help my memory, please

HighTide

Wayne, That is a good question about Kadena. I can remember going up there and being on a "hot pad" once or twice, but not much else! I was only there at night and couldn't see much!

I do remember going to Koza checking out the "local lovelies" but wasn't looking for C-130's. I am posting a pic to see if you can refresh my memory! I know you know at least one of these guys, and I remember most of their names but you may know the rest! Are you in this picture????

Maybe somebody else looking at this post will recognize one of the guys! We got stuck in the barracks during a typhoon so we broke out the emergency rations!

Thanks for looking,

Ken

image0-3-2.jpg

image0-2-1.jpg

I don't recognize me, LOL. I had probably already moved to Yanabaru with wife and daughter. BTW I do remember the roommate that was with Lavesque and me, a guy with the last name Lafferty, or very close to that. You may have moved in room after I moved out, which would have been June '68.

I think I see Levesque in your pic but don't recognize or know other names.

Wayne

Wayne, I sent you a PM with Levesque and Lafferty pictured! I moved into Msgt. Galloway's room when his family came over! Gary and I stacked the beds 3-high so we would have more room! We had a refrigerator and sink! As far as I can remember, nobody ever had to use the top bunk which was up next to the ceiling!

One more question, who lived upstairs? I am sure it was flight crews but Sam McGowan says that isn't right! Do you remember?

PM me with your answers, I think this thread has gone far enough with our chatter!

Ken

The F-105 unit at Kadena was the 12th TFS, 18th TFW. It had F-105Ds and vanilla F-105Fs with a yellow band aft of the black nose radome. The 12th TFS painted on the ZA tail code around 68 or so. The 18th TFW originally had the 12th, 44th, and 67th TFS with F-105s. With the start of the Viet Nam War, the 18th TFW personnel and equipment deployed to Thailand became the 13th TFS and the 44th TFS at Kadena became WOPE. (without personnel and equipment) The 44th TFS designation moved to Thailand to assume the personnel and equipment of a CONUS TDY F-105 unit. Personnel and equipment from the 18th TFW sent to Thailand to replace losses lead to the 67th TFS (red nose band) also to become WOPE. Post Pueblo Crisis, a 6 aircraft F-105F Wild Weasel Det. from Nellis, deployed to Osan, Korea, became part of the 12th TFS. Over the years, that flight expanded and later moved to Korat where it became Det. 1, 12th TFS, later the 6010th WWS, 388th TFW with the ZB tail code, which in turn became the 17th WWS with WW tail code. The 15th TRS with RF-4Cs was also based at Kadena.

Best wishes,

Grant