Canadian Herks

bobdaley

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know what that photo is doing in this thread, but thanks, it's a neat photo. Although the instrument panel has a lot of new toys for the pilots, the FE's panel looks exactly the same as it did the last time I was in a Herc cockpit -- December 1995 doing a ferry flight from Luanda to La Paz.

Don R.

Don't know what that photo is doing in this thread, but thanks, it's a neat photo. Although the instrument panel has a lot of new toys for the pilots, the FE's panel looks exactly the same as it did the last time I was in a Herc cockpit -- December 1995 doing a ferry flight from Luanda to La Paz.

Don R.

That is a Canadian Herk :-) And those toys are older then i am haha.

As for the FE panel, it's hard to beat it's design, functionally it is one of the better laid out things I've ever seen in any aircraft. (Just my personal opinion.)

Sounds like it was some minor wingtip damage.

Check out the retarded comments: "What is a plane that size doing so close to a building?" Seems the commenter hasn't heard of a hanger.

Jansen,

As with most aviation related articles on the Internet, the idiots come out of the woodwork to make those retarded comments. I actually think 99% of them are hilarious.

Back in the early 1990's, Transafrik actually fired a captain for dinging a wingtip in Assab, Eritrea. He claimed it was a bird strike -- unfortunately, the bird was sitting on a light pole! That was probably a good thing, though. He's now a 747-400 captain for UPS

Don R.

(Sorry, Bob. Sorta got away from your inquiry. Maybe some other Canuk can answer your question.

Edited by DC10FE
spelling, of course

That is a Canadian Herk :-) And those toys are older then i am haha.

As for the FE panel, it's hard to beat it's design, functionally it is one of the better laid out things I've ever seen in any aircraft. (Just my personal opinion.)

I always felt that the entire flight deck is nicely laid out.

Noticed a gauge and a guarded switch on the lower left of the center console. What's that for?

EDIT: Whoops! Need to look closer...

Sorry that was confusing for a second. That's one of the older models, that panel appears to be a radar control of some kind. This bird still had a boob tube monitor and joystick :-) I'll find a higher rez pic and see if I can find that sucker.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

130610 ff 03 July 2011

130612 ff 17 July 2011

Eight E-models are still in service, and the plan is to retire them one-for-one as the final eight J-models are delivered.

After April 2012, the Canadian C-130 fleet will be comprised of:

4x H73

2x H84

5x KC-130H

2x C-130-30

17x CC-130J

AC 307 currently has 45000 hours on it and it will be on its way to Abbotsford to get a new wing box installed.

Doesn't make much sense IMHO, as all Canadian E-models will be retired by April 2012. With four more CC-130Js coming next month, 305, 307, and 308 should be retired ASAP, as they have well over 45k each (more like 48k).

The H-models are being upgraded with newer CWBs in preparation for their exclusive SAR role though 2017. Maybe it was one of these instead?

And observer seats...

As much as a FLIR mod ala Harvest HAWK would be fantastic, the Canadian Forces is not going to spend money on equipment that will only be around for five years. I would hope that the next-generation SAR aircraft that will enter service in 2017 will have FLIR. It is ideally suited for that application, day or night.

Pics:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2196[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2197[/ATTACH]

Doesn't make much sense IMHO, as all Canadian E-models will be retired by April 2012. With four more CC-130Js coming next month, 305, 307, and 308 should be retired ASAP, as they have well over 45k each (more like 48k).

The H-models are being upgraded with newer CWBs in preparation for their exclusive SAR role though 2017. Maybe it was one of these instead?

AC 307 that is getting the box. 100%

I wonder how much it costs to swap a box out. Any idea which bird the CWB is coming from?

This really doesn't make sense, as there will be 13 Jay birds by September. I guess I should be used to weird decisions in the military by now, but still.... Maybe the swap is already contractually obligated or something.

We have 2 new ones in stock. They are not beeing swapped nore in a contract. The GAY model I mean J model is not for S&R so we dont care about them down here in 9 Hgr. lol

New, or newer? We have a couple of used ones in storage, but the best ones have been going into the H73s. Very surprised if these are brand new CWBs.

And that brings up another point...aren't there a whole bunch of H-models already being worked on at Cascade getting new CWBs? If 307 was needed that badly they would use it now, rather than tie it up upgrading the CWB only to retire it in 4-5 months.