Polish Hercules Mishap

airnav

1299 was pretty high in EBH time. That last flight probably had a profile multiplication factor of >500. It's certainly in restricted status now. I'm not sure if I'd stand under he wings during a jack.

I'm sure it will end up being their air park aircraft, or a cann bird.

My vote is on the latter.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing pictures.

The machine deserves a place in a museum for bringing back safely the crew.

MMMM 5-10 million vs. 90 or 100 million, let me think on that one.

Question to the beancounters. What, if they will be looking again for a refurb and not a new one :(

Minor detail regarding the photo album. It's 72-1299 and not 70-1299.

Oberon

So the foreign military's follow that silly EBH time? Or will they do the financially smart thing and just change the CWB?

MMMM 5-10 million vs. 90 or 100 million, let me think on that one :rolleyes:

Dan

I thought the Polish Herks got refurbed CWB - not replaced - think it gave them something like 18K EBH to play with...but don't quote me on the number.

I thought the Polish Herks got refurbed CWB - not replaced - think it gave them something like 18K EBH to play with...but don't quote me on the number.

I think the E-models that the Polish AF bought have refurbished B-model CWB's -- 72-1299 was a "loaner."

Don R.

• 2 months later...

According to some rumurs, 72-1299 will be handed over to PLAF for spares (in the frame of FMF).

Oberon

The already got the Nav's SCNS control panel out of it. It went to one of the refurbed birds.

They sure did go all out on the old AWADS airframe that they just got. Dual INUs, APN241 RADAR, TAWS, etc. I wonder who paid that bill? And we can't get dual INUs. Oh wait, AMP!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

That thing has a new center wing box on it, along with dual INU, APN241 LPCR, and many many more high dollar mods. I used to have a power point that showed all the mods, but I can't find it.

Not that one. It was a loaner (1299 from RA I think) until they get thier CWB aircraft completed. BTW, the CWB that are going in the aircraft that were sold to them arent new. They are refurbished '58 model wing boxes.

I'm not sure they were ever refurbished, they were just low time wings. The B never got to live long enough to wear out the wings, from what I understand.

Trust me, they got some serious work done on them before they went into the Polish birds. Been watching it happen for the last couple of years.