operating cargo door

mrjpc130h

does anyone knows about why c130 E and c130 H stated below...

"Ramp and door operation can be accomplished by the aux pump or handpump. (Ground operation) IAW 1C-130E(H) -1

For cargo door operation with the aux pump (Verify ramp and door controls` are in neutral first) (CLOSE, NEUTRAL, OPEN) locate the toggle switch, turn the aux pump switch ON, move and hold toggle switch tothe OPEN

position until door is full open and in the uplock. To close the cargo door (On (E model aircraft prior to AF 72-1288) hold the door switch to OPEN position and while holding switch pull the manual door release handle until the uplock is released,release the toggle switch to NEUTRAL and door will close, release manual release handle. (On aircraft after AF 72-1288 and (H) models use close position to close cargo door)."

On E Model 130's:

On the ground - to close the door you take the switch to "raise" and then you pull what is supposed to be the "emergency" release lever/handle. What this does is raise the door and takes the pressure off of the locking latches, then when you pull the release lever it manually pulls the latch segments apart so the door can drop right through What happens on E models if you just go straight to close, it forces the door lock hasp through the locking segments, the sequencing was never really designed right and it would try to drive the door down before the lock latches released. This effectively bound up the locking latches with the premature downward force until the door just shoves it way thought the locks. This started breaking the locks and or damaging the doors so they came up with that method to close the door.

In Flight – to close the cargo door from the ADS panel up front, you first take the switch to open for two seconds then take it to closed, this is doing the same thing as what you did manually in the back. It pulls the door up out of the lock segments so it can unlock without binding then the door will close without problem when you go to closed. If you forget to go Open before you go Closed, you can feel the whole airplane shudder – it’s that violent and hard on the aircraft.

Now on H/HC/WC/MC-130’s they use a different sequencing valve, so whether you’re in the back or in the cockpit you can go straight to closed. On these versions of the C-130, when you go to closed, the sequencing valve itself will actually go to open for two seconds before it switches to closed., so in the end the sequence of actions is the same, its just that one you have to manually select open and on the other the plane will select open for you.

Dan

Now on H/HC/WC/MC-130’s they use a different sequencing valve, so whether you’re in the back or in the cockpit you can go straight to closed. On these versions of the C-130, when you go to closed, the sequencing valve itself will actually go to open for two seconds before it switches to closed., so in the end the sequence of actions is the same, its just that one you have to manually select open and on the other the plane will select open for you.

Dan

Just as a quick clarification, in TO 1C-130(M)H-1 there is a caution that will tell you to go to Open for 2-3 seconds then position the switch to Close for in flight. On the ground the procedures are the same for the E model (go to Open, pull Emergency Release Lever, hold the door switch in the Closed position until locked). When I flew slick H's, I'd usually follow the same procedure as the E anyway, force of habit.

Well, what Dan said, "On the ground - to close the door you take the switch to "open" and then you pull what is supposed to be the "emergency" release lever/handle.

It just takes about 500 mSecs or so, you just want to take the weight off the lock.

My point is DON"T hold the open switch in the up position, it may rip the structure apart. You can actually see the bottom skin of the door move a bit if you look where the actuator is attached.

BUT, I'm just a pointy head, so take it with a grain of NaCl. Now, if ya wanna talk IFF or TACAN...

This is out of our job guide.

Edited by tinyclark

I can't imagine why anyone would hold it in the open position while in the uplocks for an extended period of time, it takes me less than a second to go to open then pull the emergency release lever. Then again some of the W/C/N's in the -1/-9 are in there because someone got a case of the stupids.

Well, with all the precautions in the way, some people are still able to F()!< up a steel football.

After looking at the whole setup though, I think it is the snubber on the H models that allows the lock just to be popped open.

It's my thinking, and of course this is not good, that you don't go to Up on the door to take the weight off the lock, you do it to make sure that the actuator is pressurized so the door comes down slow.

Edited by tinyclark
Too much thinking