Refueling over Iraq

fltsload

Huh?

Dan

"What the Captain means"...

Fantastic, magnificent, amazing, awesome, the sh*t, the bomb, grand, breathtaking, splendid, tremendous, remarkable, amazing, awe-inspiring, astounding, super, and neato keen.

The term "made of win" follows the theme of using 'made of *insert word here*' as a way to describe something. It is slang, usually found on the internet, although quite uncommon at present.

Although it doesn't seem to follow English grammar properly, win can be defined as a noun, so it isn't always grammatically incorrect, it's just nonsense.

However, sentences such as made of awesome are grammatically incorrect, but are still used.

Used in a sentence "The Lockheed C130 Hercules aircraft is made of win."

If you wrote a loadmaster's job description, no one would believe it!

Nice window office. Get to kick people and items out the door.

IIRC the ramp & door air speed is 150 KIAS. It would seem the fighters had to slow to near stall speed.

You should see the herk doing a refueling at MOS (minimum operating speed) refueling a pair of of helo's when your fat (155k Pounds or more).

You have the hoses out, flaps at 70% and your 3 to 5 knots above airframe buffet with power required for level flight.

IT CAN REALLY SUCK

Got to experience my first fin stall during a refueling while instructing at the school house. Let me tell you that will wake you butt up quick:eek:

Tankers hated us, they would have to slow down to IFR our Herks and by the same coin we really didnt fall in love with refueling at 70 knots either.

Dan

I knew the spec opcs birds had a higher open ramp and door speed than the trash haulers. IIRC there were some kind of shields to keep the air from coming up into the empanage from the sides of the ramp. Thanks for the info.

We had the highspeed ramp/door 250 knots -- the buffer boards were there for the ramp crew during STAR operations. As I recall slicks had a 150 for opening and closeing but you could go up to 180 once open and locked.

53's where always interesting to refuel, Once we even had a pair of F-14's pop up and stabilise out of nowhere in WESTPAC looking for some gas. Just curious about the V-22, has anybody tanked them?

From my understanding (after speaking to one of their pilots) they are "pretty fuel efficient". In hindsight I am now kicking myself for not even thinking of asking him this question.

Drogue Slayers?

Na, the one and only plane that earns the "Drogue Slayer" title is the MH-47's out of the 160th SOAR.

Why the army decided that they didnt need to have a probe that extended BEYOND the rotor disk is beyond me.

They were nowhere near as bad as they were when they first started refueling why back when, but it sure don't take much on their part to separate drogue from hose. Back then they sure put our mx supply budget to the test replacing all those hoses and couplings.

Dan