Refueling over Iraq

fltsload

IIRC there were some kind of shields to keep the air from coming up into the empanage from the sides of the ramp. Thanks for the info.

It's not the buffer boards that allow this, they were a carry over from the Talon I and we can fly at 250 without them. The longerons on the tail are beefed up, a 19" switch (ramp opens 19" before the doors opens), a second uplock, and a second door actuator were added. I'm speaking MC-130H specific, whether or not the J's have the same thing well, I don't know.

never had any problems with the 47's....160th had their $h1t straight (my experience w'them)...few plugs left and right, get their gas and gone.

the 22's however, and not knocking them, had alot of "swing and a miss", then "hey eng, I think they put a hole in the drogue..again".....and thus have been awarded the title.

probably along the same line though, 22's are fairly new, let alone getting gas in one...bet the prior 53 guys bite their tongue alot.

It's not the buffer boards that allow this, they were a carry over from the Talon I and we can fly at 250 without them. The longerons on the tail are beefed up, a 19" switch (ramp opens 19" before the doors opens), a second uplock, and a second door actuator were added. I'm speaking MC-130H specific, whether or not the J's have the same thing well, I don't know.

All true, and you don't need the buffer boards to utlize the 250 kt ramp. The buffer boards are a holdover from the Fulton system. We'll fly the Talon without them now and again, but I like having them there for pretty much anytime the ramp and door are opened in flight at any airspeed, especially during high speed drops and refueling the whirling cuisinart of death.

Yes, the 160th SOAR definatly has thier poo poo in one basket now, I was referring to the old fart days when they first probed thier 47 OMG happy0045.gifit was exciting to say the least. Then got to do it all over again when they probed the 60's - once again12.gif

and refueling the whirling cuisinart of death.
smiley-ugly-lol-bashing-sign.gifwoot.gif

OMG thats funny as you know what!!! Thanks for the great laugh!!

Got some pics of my nephew with the MEU but I will start a new thread in Off topic since this thread has wandered so far off course.

(oh and the HC and MC-P have dual actuator cargo doors as well, mainly because of the extra weight of the flare tubes)

Dan

I was gonna ask about the ramp and doors being open for this refueling. Pretty sure they're above 150 but seems that one's been answered.

If you read what this guy said on the right as the video is playing he says they were miles above Iraq. Couldn't have been too many miles since they were depressurized. ;-) Actually probably less than 2. lol

1.1 miles, 1 mile

Don'tcha love a smartass?

Uh, not a good example. We drove .8 "miles"(not mile) to get there. ;-) With that example we've broken the trip down to less than a mile in different increments however. In the example being discussed it was mile(s) above, as in whole numbers, not tenth's of a mile above.

Pete you worked AMP too long! lol Are you back living in the area?