CCK and Taichung 1966

ronsram

CCK didn't open in 1966, there had been USAF units there off and on for some time. An F-104 outfit from TAC went TDY there in 1965 during Two Buck. I was there on an RON while TDY to Mactan in the fall of 1965. Cargo missions from Naha would stop off there going to and from Da Nang where the F-104 outfit had a forward operation location. We stayed down town at the Railroad Hotel. The TAC squadrons moved there from Naha, Clark and Tachikawa in the spring of 1966 when the 314th TCW headquarters came over from Sewart and the wing was established. Except for the 345th, which was at Naha and operated under the 6315th Ops Group, the TAC E-model squadrons operated directly under 315th AD until the 314th activated at CCK.

I left Tennessee on Jan 10th 1966 with the 50th for the move. We were at Clark for about 3 weeks until CCK was ready for us. 50th was the 1st at CCK and we lived in tents and also worked out of large blow-up tents. The 345th arrived soon after us followed by the 776th. I was in the 314th engine shop and worked in engine conditioning. Yes CCK had aircraft and opened in 1966! I was in the 314th at Sewart and was part of the move. Living in tents in February with the rain was no fun. C-130E's were on CCK in February 1966. We cane over with the 1964 Aircraft. I was on 64-0536. In early 66 it was called Kung Kuan AB I have TDY orders issued by 314th TCW Kung Kuan AB 20 Feb 66 and TDY orders to Taipei AS issued by 314th TCW issued 3 May 66 Ching Chung Kang AFB. The name was changed between dates and I remember it but not the exact date.

Ronsram, thanks for the pictures. I arrived at CCk in Jan. 1967. We were the second group to arrive that didn't live in tents. I was in the transient barracks for almost 2 months until they got me a room. Seems the new barracks were not quite ready yet. I was there until Feb. 1967.

Post some more pictures and you will make a lot of people homesick.

Wil

Hi! 5 more pictures of one of the best assignments in the USAF. I was at Peterson prior to C-130's and also at Camp New Amsterdam NL (Soesterberg) on F-15's. Off all Dutch and American holidays, No flying at night or weekends. That is the reason I say one of the best. I also was at Korat Thailand on new F-4E's in 1970. That was also an outstanding assignment as we had very little engine trouble on new aircraft. More to go let me know. Did anyone ever go to Sun Moon Lake? Got some pictures! Also did anyone ever get into Duc Co Vietnam?

Edited by ronsram

The photo of that hangar brought back memories....we used that hangar for some special systems calibrations on (then) classified airplanes in the '69-'70 timeframe. Was always late at night, from 10pm till 5am, when our airplanes came to CCK for phase inspections, which we couldn't do in Vietnam. We had one hangar at our home base, but to jack an airplane and drop the leading edges and open the nose radome made it a prime target at our base.

All the pics of CCK and Taichung really bring back some special memories for me. Don't know why I loved this assignment so much more than any other, but it was special. My pics were taken and destroyed by an ex-wife, so all your pics are extra special to me. Thank you for taking the time to post them and keep them coming.....please.

CCK 71-72

Bill