MC-130 mishap during Cold Response exercise

Oberon

66-0220. Known as "The Last Dragon" during my days at Woodbridge (85-92). Looks pretty bad. The IFR Pod is trashed. Hard to tell what's going on with the landing gear from that angle. It'll be interesting to see what the full story is. I'll bet the guy standing ground has an interesting tale to tell. Hope his interphone chord was nice and long...

A bit more I found on-line...

February 24: A US Air Force MC-130P ‘Combat Shadow’ undergoing ground tests at Evenes Air Base in Norway went out of control, injuring one person and ending up in a snow bank.

The MC-130P involved, 66-0220 is with US Special Operations Command Europe in Norway participating in Exercise ‘Cold Response’ 2010 running from February 17 until March 4, the largest exercise in the country this year. Around 8,500 soldiers including almost 1,000 Special Forces personnel from 14 nations are taking part, the main focus of the land operations taking place between Setermoen and Bjerkvik in Northern Norway.

It is understood that the injuries to the person involved were slight, but they were taken to a hospital in Harstad as a precautionary measure.

Sorry to hear about a good plane getting injured. I had asked in a previous post if anyone else had ever jumped run chocks. Another individual hinted that it was impossible to jump chocks. Here is proof positive that it can and will happen on occasion. Some people just don't realize how much they move around during a 4 engine full power run.

Wil

Because of this mishap we had a FCIF come out from HQ AFSOC on Thurs afternoon and the short version is Aircrew will run engines for mx if either of these conditions are present,

32 F or below

snow and ice

anything above ground idle

and if max power is required we have to take it to the runway to do so

another great knee jerk reaction :eek:

OMG NOT THE RAMBLER:mad:

That was one sweet plane, hopefully it is not trashed, that would be as bad as when we lost 213.

Hopefully the ground guy (or whoever was injured) wasn't messed up too bad.

Bob, what was the "Old Grey Color Scheme"?

Because of this mishap we had a FCIF come out from HQ AFSOC on Thurs afternoon and the short version is Aircrew will run engines for mx if either of these conditions are present,

32 F or below

snow and ice

I remember when AFSOC was really something and you did the mission and didn't have a bunch of fighter pukes trying to get their star, or next star, at the mission and peoples expense.

Big blue has always HATED us and have tried to kill us off and when that didn't work the infiltrated their people to water us down to nothing but a bunch of CYA pencil necked geeksbull1lz4.gif

It really sucks, I feel for you guys that are expected to do the mission now while hogtied by pencil pushing butt munchers.

Dan

The "Old Grey color scheme" was the gloss grey paint with yellow trim like the weather birds have. I have seen pictures of all of the 67th birds in the paint except for 0220 (that I remember). When I got to Woodbridge in 1985, all of the planes were Euro 1 paint including 0220.

Here's a link to some pictures of 67th ARRS HC-130 planes and Helicopters at Woodbridge...some in the gloss grey paint.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/search.php?page=0&q=67%20ARRS&u=unit

Sorry to hear about a good plane getting injured. I had asked in a previous post if anyone else had ever jumped run chocks. Another individual hinted that it was impossible to jump chocks. Here is proof positive that it can and will happen on occasion. Some people just don't realize how much they move around during a 4 engine full power run.

When running on hardpacked snow/ice very easy to slide forward and kick the wooden chocks out to the side. I was with an en-rout maint team at Elmendorf for the 1966-67 winter. We had big steel chocks with big teeth that would sink into the packed snow as you ran the throttles forward...to compensate I would pull two throttles a bit in reverse before running the needed throttles up past crossover. It was tricks but it worked...what was scarey was that the plane was moving forward parking brake was locked and for a moment you did not know why...ground man was always way out past the wing tip for runs in the snow.

Muff

I was at Elmendorf from 82-85 and we where probably using those same steel chocks. They worked pretty good, all though I can remember an engine shop guy pushing them out a couple times. I am sure we jumped chocks an easy dozen times while I was there. Hopefully AFSOC will trim the run requirements down some and maybe design some chocks specifically to use in cold and icey conditions along with minimum weight requirements and maybe certifying run crews for the very cold day runs.

32 F or below

snow and ice

How long do you suppose this will last? one or two runs by the flight crew.

Just one time of having to call a crew out of "Crew Rest" for a 1-2 hour engine run and then "crew rest" starts all over again and the next days mission has to be move forward by however many hours, nope it just won't happen but 1 or 2 times and then this will be reviewed and changed in no time!:mad:

"32 F or below, snow and ice" hell this is all the time in the winter, unless your in desert, Hawaii, Caribbean, etc.

In my day if we had to do a run above "ground idle" we would shoot de-icing fluid in front of/under the MLG tires to get rid of snow and ice.

Just my 2 cents worth, another great "knee jerk reaction"!!!!!!!

73, Rex

Edited by herkfixer
add text

its all bs, i suspect it will last until the SIB is done it is going to be painful but at least we at CVS are rolling into the warmer part of the year so hopefully the pain will be minimal,

shooting de-icing fluid all around would of been the smart thing but hind site is 20/20

on another note I brought it up to my CC about when we have to run for fuel contol, prop change etc. and you have to pitchlock the prop with the fuel governing check switches, our -1 says that its a mx function only unless of course your FCF qualled so thats one more thing that one would have to schedule around besides crew rest etc

what a pain in the butt

On a run at Sewart we did jump the front chock on an engine run.

I don't remember if I was running or on the ground headset.

I was in the cockpit.

We towed it to the runup row and parked it, then set up for the engine run, and we were

useing the big heavy chocks.

When we shut down the GTC the ATM was also shut down and the break selector switch remained in the Emerg. position.

When we went from Gi. to Fi. we felt a bump like we were at full power.

Somehow we noticed the break switch and went from Gi. to reverse until we got the pressure built back up. This was on an "A" model.

No report was made and no damage was done. We knew the error of our way.

If I remember correctly the ATM provides pressure for the breaks in the emergency position

and one of the other systems provides pressure for the normal break position.

Guess I been haveing innernet problems.

I was a Loadmaster at Elmendorf in early 70s. When we did engine runs on ice we only ran 2 engines at a time. The other 2 were in reverse. In Oct 72 we were doing search missions for 2 missing congressmen, the RCR was 05 (Water over Ice) on the taxiways.

32 F or below

snow and ice

AFSOC said it WAS a reaction until the SIB is complete.

We want to keep the aircrew out of maintenance runs thats for sure (no offense!)!!

Also here is a picture of the ice chocks we used at Elmendorf!!

Well, the question is why did it "jump" the chocks? Did it roll over the chocks or did it skid them out of the way? Brakes fail? Not set? "Set" with no hydraulic pressure?

RCR 5? Airplanes don't "jump" on the ground; they roll or slide. Wonder if the data and voice recorders were operating?

Either training or supervision or both. Failure to use tech data? Checklists?

This kind of goes in cycles. At one place 25-30 or so year ago, we were taking run-qualified mx out on a Sunday morning when nothing happening and putting them in the left seat for an engine start and taxi around for a bit and simulate a run and I'd hold the brakes and let 'em go suddenly to simulate brake failure/sliding forward. I specifically remember one kid who was taxiing better and smoother than most pilots, after a few minutes explaining what's happening before we started.

I do remember occasionally spending the night sitting around the flightline or the squadron and riding out in the blue bread truck to an aiplane on "taxi/engine-run" crew duty at Dyess back in the day. Great if 'ya got the people and time to spare.

My $0.02