MC-130 mishap during Cold Response exercise

Oberon

Good morning. What a mess!. When I was doing high power run, my left eye was watching through the left window and the right one, reading figures on the gauges!!!. I do not think that a flight crew could have done better. If the mechanics don't do a high power run anymore,...you better quit the job!!! That's my feeling!

I think anything that will give you a few extra seconds is always helpful... plus they look like they work better than wood blocks on ice... plus doesn't the 71JG say to use different chocks for icy conditions. During a brake failure those monster tires will roll over just about anything... so on ice sliding is the problem not actually rolling... just my 2cents

How long do you suppose this will last? one or two runs by the flight crew.

Just one time of having to call a crew out of "Crew Rest" for a 1-2 hour engine run and then "crew rest" starts all over again and the next days mission has to be move forward by however many hours, nope it just won't happen but 1 or 2 times and then this will be reviewed and changed in no time!:mad:

"32 F or below, snow and ice" hell this is all the time in the winter, unless your in desert, Hawaii, Caribbean, etc.

In my day if we had to do a run above "ground idle" we would shoot de-icing fluid in front of/under the MLG tires to get rid of snow and ice.

Just my 2 cents worth, another great "knee jerk reaction"!!!!!!!

73, Rex

Still happens this way Rex , if sitting on ice at Pete we will move the the ACFT to a spot that has had the ice removed with deicing fluid .

Common sense is all it is.

In the pilot world it's GET HOME IDIS gets you killed.

In the MXS world it's GET IT DONE IDIS gets the plane torn up .

NO JG is a subtitute for common sense.

Still happens this way Rex , if sitting on ice at Pete we will move the the ACFT to a spot that has had the ice removed with deicing fluid .

Common sense is all it is.

In the pilot world it's GET HOME IDIS gets you killed.

In the MXS world it's GET IT DONE IDIS gets the plane torn up .

NO JG is a subtitute for common sense.

Winter '62/'63.Evreux AB.C130A 55 007, running all 4 to parallel generators on an icy pad with a chock in front of each main tire. Went from grd. idle to flt. idle.The chocks were kicked out, acft. skated ahead. NO ONE has ever pulled the power levers from flt. idle to max reverse that quickly.Guy on the ground headset was long gone.Acft. slid ahead a good 60 to 70 feet. Backed straight back into the pad and shut down. Got very lucky, no one hurt and no damage to the acft.What must be kept in mind is how quickly this can happen. In 30 plus years of runs and taxi checks subsequent to this incident it never happened to me again.

Bob,

Who was the stan eval Major from the 37th that gave eng certs to maint.--I remember quite well him kicking the brakes loose on me on my recert ride--1st I ever had a plane move that fast--scared the hell out of me and the other CC's on board--no one wanted to get in the seat after that. Was running a A model at Naha to full power when the center seat guy moved the flaps to 100%--that will give you a distinct feeling of leaving the chocks--balloons like crazy

Smitty