Taiwan C-130 Crash 1965

nantougene

I LOST MY BUDDY,SGT.ALAN MARTIN C/C,AC.#UNNOWN (I FORGET),C-130E DOWN APPROCH END. WX.=PILOT ORDERED TO DIVERT TO KADENA, A/C ORBITED FIELD 1-HOURE , FUEL STARVATION ON APPROCH, CAME IN RIGHT OF RUN WAY APROUCH. WING CAME IN CONT.RT.TIPE=SHERED WING, A/C THEN FLIPED ON BACK,CAME TO REAST BOTTEM'S UP.BURNING MOSTLY INTEREOR.12 R&R TROOPS DOA.+ CREW TWO WERE TAKEN OUT PUT IN HOSP.MEDIVACED TO JAPAN, DIED IN ROUTE. A-MEN GOD REAST THER SOUL'S.

ALLEN KC8QZQ LATE FEB.1969 OR EARLY MARCH 1969

This particular airplane was coming back from Cam Ranh Bay. Major Warren "Huey" Long was one of the pilots on board. Huey was an icon in the C-130 world. He was a Stan/Eval pilot at Pope and flew the lead airplane on DRAGON ROUGE. He went to Langley as initial cadre when the 316th TCW was started up after the 463rd went to Clark. He was coming out of country to go on emergency leave after learning that his wife was having surgery. His daughter Cindy is anxious to learn more about her dad. Her Email is [email protected]. I've got some pictures of the wreckage that Stan Davis took and sent to me to copy.

• 5 years later...

I always remember 64-0536. October is a significant month in my life. My brother, my youngest son, one grand-daughter and I were born in October. On 2 Oct 1970 I was one of the crew members that flew 0536 that day. The morning sorties where to Tainan as a pilot pro and upgrade training. When we returned to CCK, the command post informed us to stay around, that we would be refueled and then fly an add-on sortie to Taipei to pick up replacement crews that had arrived there. We went to grab some food at the flight line snack bar. While there, the Aircraft Commander (Instructor Pilot) told both of us pilots getting upgrade / pilot pro flight events that there was no need for both of us to go unto Taipei since only one of us would get the seat time. I had flown most of the morning sortie and had completed all of my requirements, so it was decided I would stay at CCK since I was scheduled for a TDY to in country sooner. So I stayed. I went to my BOQ quarters to change and shower. Soon, I had a knock on my door. An orderly came to tell me that I was wanted at the Wing HQ. He would not tell me why. I drove over and was met by the chief Stan/Eval pilot and was told about the crash. 

At that time, they asked questions about the previous sorties, if any aircraft problems, food and anything else I could recollect from the time we took off earlier that morning until we came back.

i have always wondered why I was one of the few left behind. At the time, I was a bachelor and some of the other crew members that perished had family and I did not. God works in misterious ways. 

In Oct 2015, almost to the day and time another C130, this one a J model also crashed. That brought memories as for years, the 64-0536 date comes to mind and those that perished on that day. May they Rest in Peace and may their family and friends receive God's comfort and consolation. Rafael (776 TAS (Red Lions)

I'm currently reading a book written by a pilot that i worked with as an aircraft mech.in industry.He was career navy,test pilot school grad.,instructor pilot and squadron commander. An outstanding pilot,an outstanding individual. Several times ,while talking about acft. losses and crew member losses he states "aviation plays no favorites"

I was a loadmaster in the 345th when this happened. The loadmaster on that flight was part of our running mates...Just pulled my flight log. I flew 5.9 combat hours and 5 sorties on 64-0536 on 8 July, 1970....I think Frank was the Loadmaster's name but memory has faded a bit. I can still see his face...

TSGT Art Deilly was on the flight--he was transferring from the 36TAS at Langley. Art was a fun loving, hard drinking guy who worked his butt off  turning wrenches on the flight line and teaching younger crew chiefs the "ropes".  I can remember well how much he liked the Prince Charles Hotel at Fayetteville-- so much I had to come down and retrieve him a  couple of times when we deployed together. I also remember how hard it was to hear about the crash--it happened when the 36TAS was on rote to Rhein-Main.  I learned" a lot about living" with the big guy.  Rest in peace Art and have one on me>

Bob Darden, M.O. at the time of the accident a 1LT

• 1 year later...

I was assigned to the 314th TAW at the time and remember that we were told 0545 was found on the back side of the hill configured for max lift and max power. That the pilot was attempting to clear the hill and was just too low and too late.  Attributed unofficially on base to the Navigator being off on direction and required altitudes.  I remember that it took days to find the crash site as it was not on what would have been an expect route and that the CPI box only let out one beep before going silent.

SSGT Bill F

Aircraft Electrician 42350

CCK Apr 70 to Oct 73

On 1/19/2016 at 2:17 PM, BRlang said:

I was a loadmaster in the 345th when this happened. The loadmaster on that flight was part of our running mates...Just pulled my flight log. I flew 5.9 combat hours and 5 sorties on 64-0536 on 8 July, 1970....I think Frank was the Loadmaster's name but memory has faded a bit. I can still see his face...

A1C Frank Wilson III

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I know that the thread is quite old and may have been abandoned but the Crash of October 2, 1970 took the life of my wife's brother Daniel Kritzer who hopped on the plane at last minute. His death of course was tragic and my wife and I are planning on going to the site if possible this coming November. Does anyone have the exact coordinates of the crash? We would really like to stand on the hollowed ground or get as close as we can. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. The memorial to lost airmen in case anyone is interested is located in St. Louis at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery. They were laid to rest together.

• Like 1

I was at CCK when the crash occurred. The loadmaster, Frank Wilson was a buddy and ran with our group. The plane hit a mountain in a remote area leaving TPE. I doubt you can get to the site. It was on a mountain side. Any one of us could have been on that crew but were not. We all had one thing in common. We loved to fly and would go anywhere at any time. All of us crew members were Brothers. Good luck to you in finding the location.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 3/2/2010 at 9:03 AM, ALLEN RAY WOOD KC8QZQ said:

I LOST MY BUDDY,SGT.ALAN MARTIN C/C,AC.#UNNOWN (I FORGET),C-130E DOWN APPROCH END. WX.=PILOT ORDERED TO DIVERT TO KADENA, A/C ORBITED FIELD 1-HOURE , FUEL STARVATION ON APPROCH, CAME IN RIGHT OF RUN WAY APROUCH. WING CAME IN CONT.RT.TIPE=SHERED WING, A/C THEN FLIPED ON BACK,CAME TO REAST BOTTEM'S UP.BURNING MOSTLY INTEREOR.12 R&R TROOPS DOA.+ CREW TWO WERE TAKEN OUT PUT IN HOSP.MEDIVACED TO JAPAN, DIED IN ROUTE. A-MEN GOD REAST THER SOUL'S.

ALLEN KC8QZQ LATE FEB.1969 OR EARLY MARCH 1969

Mr. Wood, do you have at least one photograph of Sgt Alan C Martin? His parents are long dead (Mother in 1970, Father in 1989), and he was apparently an only child. He is the last man from Canada for whom we are still hoping to locate a photo...high school ("secondary school") or later, and it doesn't have to be formal. Failing all else, do you know which school he attended?

The VVMF Photo Project is nearing completion. Of the 58,318 names etched on The Wall, we seek at least one photo for 1,591 men.

I can be reached at [email protected].

Whether or not you have a photo, I hope you'll leave a remembrance at your friend's site. Alan Craig Martin's dedication page is online at <http://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/29179/ALAN-C-MARTIN>.

• 4 months later...
On 5/14/2010 at 1:56 AM, howswilson said:

LM A1C Wilson on 64-0536 was my older brother. He was ten days shy of his 21st birthday. I remember the night before my mom showed me a Spiro Agnew watch she had bought to mail out the next day for his birthday. I have that watch hanging on a wall in my home office. He was a great brother, friend, and mentor.

Thank you for the only detailed info I've been able to locate.

My uncle, Sgt Larry D Unger was also on that flight

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2019 at 1:00 PM, Shawn said:

My uncle, Sgt Larry D Unger was also on that flight

Shawn. There is a Facebook group CCK Air Base Taichung Taiwan you will half to join. I got these copies from an Airman who was there at the time. You can search posts with the crash date. Lots of them remember. My Uncle Rex Bundy was on the plane.

Steve

FB_IMG_1541753629889.jpg

FB_IMG_1541753619212.jpg

FB_IMG_1541806860852.jpg

• 9 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:52 PM, geeb said:

Shawn. There is a Facebook group CCK Air Base Taichung Taiwan you will half to join. I got these copies from an Airman who was there at the time. You can search posts with the crash date. Lots of them remember. My Uncle Rex Bundy was on the plane.

Steve

FB_IMG_1541753629889.jpg

FB_IMG_1541753619212.jpg

FB_IMG_1541806860852.jpg

Joe Joe.jpg

Just now, Rob Spigone said:

Joe Joe.jpg

My cousin who was my Godfather was on the flight Joseph J. Spigone. I was 8 at the time. I don't know why everyone from the list isn't on the headstone memorial but I thought I would share the picture we've had to remember Joe Joe. Sorry for 1950291400_JoeJoeDec1969.jpg.aeed200ffd7aaf03d13b3f480f6b6976.jpgyour loss.

• 1 year later...

I was at CCKAB 314th OMS as CC 62-1817 from May 69 - June 70. The only incident I am aware of was 

Acft. 62-1818 was shooting T-&-G's at a little airstrip from CCK when they had a #2 engine fire. 

On board, pilot, IP, FE, IFE, Nav, Loadmaster and Instructor Loadmaster.  Crashed Killing all on board.

Not sure of exact date, late 69 early 70. My best friend had just performed Maint on Stab Trim sys 

and was interrigated intensley for failure to follow MM proceedures. After Flight Recorder 

review it was determined to be Pilot error.  Just after lift off climbed to approx 1000' rolled into a left

bank, Left wing stalled, rolled over and nosed in. While all were discussing what to do about fire, no one

was assigned to fly the aircraft. Don't know if this helps but only incident I am aware of on Tiawan.

On 4/17/2020 at 10:15 AM, Rob Spigone said:

My cousin who was my Godfather was on the flight Joseph J. Spigone. I was 8 at the time. I don't know why everyone from the list isn't on the headstone memorial but I thought I would share the picture we've had to remember Joe Joe. Sorry for 1950291400_JoeJoeDec1969.jpg.aeed200ffd7aaf03d13b3f480f6b6976.jpgyour loss.

Rob, I think some airmen weren't identified. My Uncle was and he's not on the headstone. He is buried in our hometown in Missouri. I didn't know about the Memorial in St. Louis until a few years ago. Do you know whether your cousin was?  

Edited by geeb