Interesting Site

casey

If you get a chance, read the first couple chapters of Peter's book. It is included in his website under the "SHOP-ON-LINE" link and then "Wanna read a good book?" link. Sounds like standard Herk operations, even though he is flying on a UN mission. Way too many of the stories sound all too familiar.

I have been reading his book, interesting and entertaining. But I do have a question about the story in Chapter 1 about stand piping the dump pumps to verify fuel remaining. Is the fuel system on a 382G that different from an E model? I remember the dump manifold being diffferent from the crossfeed manifold.

I have been reading his book, interesting and entertaining. But I do have a question about the story in Chapter 1 about stand piping the dump pumps to verify fuel remaining. Is the fuel system on a 382G that different from an E model? I remember the dump manifold being diffferent from the crossfeed manifold.

Bob, The system is the same as H models witrh switch controlled X-valves. The difference is that U.S. military crews are not taught to standpie while Southern Air crews used it quite often to verify fuel quantity. What it amounts to is not an actual standpipe but the location of the dump pump being located above the fuel outboards woulds leave 2100 pounds and inboards would leave 1800. Designed that way so you won't dump all the fuel. If you used the dump pumps to feed the engines you would wait for the pressure gauge to start dancing which indicated cavitation and you knew that no matter what the fuel tank indicator said, you actually had the amount of fuel indicated as the standpipe fuel. Flying for the military, 95% of the time you had enough Mom and kids fuel to never concern yoursel with standpipe.

Jake, Thanks for the reply, What I don't understand is how can you run the dump pumps without dumping fuel? All I remember is the cover guarded dump switches on the aft of the fuel control panel, you flip them and you have fuel coming out your wing tips. I remember the dump pumps being mounted on a pedestal except for the external tanks. Its been a long time since I've been around a Herk but is my memory that bad? bob woods

Bob, In the later model H's and all the L-382's when you turn on the dump pumps you charge the dump manifold but as long as you leave the X-valves closed fuel stays in the manifold. The next step is to open an external tank x-feed valve which would allow the fuel to charge the x-feed manifold as well. you also had to ensure the fuel was reaching the pressure gauge which might require you to open the center seperation valve. Once the needle started dancing, you went back to tank-to-engine. you had to really pay attention as you didn't want to cause a fuel imbalance - or worse, starving an engine. If I recall correctly there is a procedure in the later H model manuals which explains this as a "loss of main tank fuel boost pump procedure" but it isn't taught as a standpipe procedure....and yes all our memories are that bad I think the herks caused it.

Jake, Thanks for the reply, What I don't understand is how can you run the dump pumps without dumping fuel? All I remember is the cover guarded dump switches on the aft of the fuel control panel, you flip them and you have fuel coming out your wing tips. I remember the dump pumps being mounted on a pedestal except for the external tanks. Its been a long time since I've been around a Herk but is my memory that bad? bob woods

To help you understand what they're talking about, on airplanes AF63-7764 and up all tanks feed into a common manifold (jettison manifold) which has an outlet on each wing tip. A fuel dump shutoff valve is located in the line going to each of the two dump masts on those airplanes.

325X1

The X valves dont open when the plane leaves the ground. They are on seperate switches.

Bob,

To add just a bit to to the explanations -- later H-models & commercial Hercs have guarded safety wired switches at each end of the fuel panel to control the dump valves.

Agarrett

My memory is shot, too. Are the x-valves you're referring to also the dump valves?

Don R.

That's what Al meant on newer UARRSI equipped aircraft the X valves (dump) are no longer on the touchdown switches and have to be opened prior to turning on the dump pumps. When they installed UARRSI they combined the air refueling manifold with the dump manifold so they had to put switches on so you could air-refuel without just taking it in and dumping it out the wings!

The Dyess H1's didn't have the dump SOV's, but didn't the rescue H, P's & N's have them? I haven't been on a rescue bird since 1972, so I'm really overworking my remaining brain cells.

Don R.

Yes, all the tanker birds had dump shutoff valves. They used the dump manifold for passing gas through the pods.

Mike

Don

The x valves are not the dump valves.

The dump valve open the individual tank to the dump manifold and the x valve opens the dump manifold to the dump masts.

All others with questions:

All E models (with the "new" wings) and (Early?) H models, the x valves operate through the touchdown switch, you take off and they open. The EC-130's, MC-130P, MC-130E, HC-130P/N all have switches on the overhead to open or close the dump valves instead of automatic operation through the dump switch.

This way allows you to move gas internally from one tank to another (trim fuel), take fuel on through UARRSI (if equipped), offload fuel to helo's and really make check rides fun:rolleyes:

Dan