Sway brace bolts

Fryguy

During ISO inspection we have noticed that the planes that come back from depot have had sealant on the sway brace bolt heads. We can't find in a TO anywhere that says to apply sealant to the bolt heads only to put grease on the bolt itself. Anyone have any input on this. Thanks

We've been having that discussion here at Robins for a while now. Half the people say it needs it, half say it doesn't, so far no one has been able to show it in writing either way. The way we do it at Functional is if someone put sealant on, we let it go, no one can think of a reason to take it off. If it doesn't have sealant, same thing. If anyone can find anything on the sealant, please let me know so we can all get on the same page.

We've been having that discussion here at Robins for a while now. Half the people say it needs it, half say it doesn't, so far no one has been able to show it in writing either way. The way we do it at Functional is if someone put sealant on, we let it go, no one can think of a reason to take it off. If it doesn't have sealant, same thing. If anyone can find anything on the sealant, please let me know so we can all get on the same page.

Thanks for the replies. Its funny you say that "half do / half don't". Thats exactly how we work here on many subjects. Good thing about that in this case is nobody is wrong I suppose. There isn't anything in writing from what we've seen. I guess it falls back to depot and the old saying ("thats the way we've done it for years") so they just keep doing it even though there is nothing on paper that says to! Thanks again. I'll be posting some more questions on here (cool little tool to settle some disputes!), I agree with you that we all should try to be on the same page.

Some time ago I was inspecting a QEC kit, and saw the bolt had been turning, and

subsequently worn its cadmium plating out. I tried to find info on this as there was evidence

of sealant which had been removed. A fruitless search as it turned out. I measured the holes

to ensure there was no other damage or wear, fitted a new bolt and nut, and put sealant

on.

My feeling is that the sealant is not so much to seal something, as it is to prevent the

bolt turning ........

Well, I don't have a copy of the military structural manual, but I do have the civilian one.

It says in Chapter 54-30 :

© Reposition the truss on the wing using the locating template and install all fasteners as shown in figure 54-30-06. Install the 376176-1 diagonal tube and remove the locating template.

(d) Completely seal over the fastener heads and collars, around the upper tang, and around the edges of the fiange, except as shown in figure 54-30-06, with Pro-Seal 870, B-2 sealant. Injection seal the cavity located approximately 2-1/2 inches below the top of the trusses of the inboard nacetle with Pro-Seal 870, B-2 sealant. Allow the sealant to cure until the sealant is rubbery.

I think I'd have to seal the fastener heads.

TO 1C-130A-3 54-30-00 Page 4: Says,

(26) Reinstall sway brace using AMS-G-6032 grease or equivalent. Coat bore of hole and bolt,and torque to 150-200 inch-pounds leaving squeezed out grease in place.

If you seal the bolts in yes it may help prevent them from spinning; however, scrapping the sealant off for the NDI inspection for cracks make cause more damage.

TO 1C-130A-3 54-30-00 Page 4: Says,

(26) Reinstall sway brace using AMS-G-6032 grease or equivalent. Coat bore of hole and bolt,and torque to 150-200 inch-pounds leaving squeezed out grease in place.

If you seal the bolts in yes it may help prevent them from spinning; however, scrapping the sealant off for the NDI inspection for cracks make cause more damage.

Since we are not permitted to use any metal objects to scrape sealant, we use micarta or phenolic, there is no damage to speak of. Our sealant is there for corrosion protection, it is not used as safetywire.

Its not the first time that military manuals did not agree with the civilian ones.

Forty years+ and truss mounts are still a pain in mx. butt. I guess some things never change.

Seems to me this problem requires someone in program management engineering to do some research and make a decision. For those field units receiving acft. from PDM with sealant installed suggest you query WRALC what TO they are using for authority.

Forty years+ and truss mounts are still a pain in mx. butt. I guess some things never change.

For those field units receiving acft. from PDM with sealant installed suggest you query WRALC what TO they are using for authority.

Guys,

You would think that after 50 years of operating the C-130 somebody would have fixed all the little problems....... But nope that would be too easy.

As for the TO's we use at the depot , they are the same TO's the field units use so there is no difference, besides interpetation of the TO.

The TO's are supposed to be writen at a 8th grade level and that makes me wonder ?

That's it Tiny! The drawing requirement was removed for the -3 a little bit ago I cannot tell you why they did not update the drawing. Maybe they are just seeing if it will work preventing cracks. Because we all know that phenolic scrappers are all that have been used on the truss mounts. :)

The C-130 have always made sense and there has never been questions left up to interpretation!!! :)

It's doubtfull this issue can be resolved on this forum because it requires an engineering decision.

I believe the drawing Tiny submitted details the proper procedure. It appears the sealant requirement was penciled in as part of a revision. The problem is squadron maintenance doesn't do maintenance based on assembly drawings. What do you say to the Sgt you told to apply sealant when he comes back to you and says he can't find the procedure in the TO?

In a previous thread it was stated installation procedure required application of grease. And says to not remove excess. Am sure todays sealants are much better than in my day, however, I remember that when sealant or adhesive was called out one of the most important steps was to ensure the affected area was thoroughly cleaned.

It might get someone off top dead center at WR-ALC if someone from the field sent a message asking what the requirement really is. If sealant is required the procedure must be placed in the appropriate TOs/JGs.

The QEC beam is a seperate issue and must be attacked on its own merits.

The kit was managed many moons ago by WR-ALC.

Keep in mind when reading my posts my frame of reference is far from current.

Partly because spent the last eight years on F-111s and the fact have been out 23 years. :)

It would probably be a good thing to keep in mind that Lockheed's methods don't always have to be the same as WR/ALC's methods. Technicians in the civilian Herk world are not permitted to follow methods designed by engineers at WR/ALC.

When in doubt, protect the aircraft.

It would probably be a good thing to keep in mind that Lockheed's methods don't always have to be the same as WR/ALC's methods. Technicians in the civilian Herk world are not permitted to follow methods designed by engineers at WR/ALC.

When in doubt, protect the aircraft.

Don't think anyone would disagree with you Steve. Especially me. Conversly AF mx. are not allowed to implement LM/civ. procedures. Any attempt to compare AF mx. with civilian mx is like comparing apples and oranges. The same can be said for AF and civ. tech data.