The New A/MC-130W - The Dragon Spear

jimsmith130

Yeah, exactly like the older gunships....except not even close.

Oh yeah, just roll it onto ANY C-130....then cut a hole, glue on an extra sensor and weld on a new cargo door...it's that easy!

Some clown tried to tell me they were testing this on the W for the Talon II...I'm literally spit my drink in his face laughing.

(Sarcasm)

yup it'll arrive in full Wombat garb, nice and freshly modded...ready to kick a$$

only to be re-modded...holes cut in it and grow a bunch of tumors....

poor little bugger will never get to be chased by thirsty helicopters/22's, or see the bunny rabbits scatter across the dirt LZ with the IDS....

....but she'll blow sh1t up....and who doesn't like that?

• 4 months later...

D.S.-Whiskey=P.O.S.

May sound like a good idea but believe me this thing is junk. We have spent more time fixing the systems that were messed up during the Mod than we have flying them. Send these poor planes back into rehab and give us our damn Whiskeys back!!! We are tired of all the Blue Ribbon teams!!!

D.S.-Whiskey=P.O.S.

May sound like a good idea but believe me this thing is junk. We have spent more time fixing the systems that were messed up during the Mod than we have flying them. Send these poor planes back into rehab and give us our damn Whiskeys back!!! We are tired of all the Blue Ribbon teams!!!

Trust me..we thought it would be crap from day one (and possibly dangerous)....but the folks on the 3rd floor and the folks in Sunny Tampa wanted to show that it could be done faster and cheaper than the Marine effort and the Lockheed effort.

Not sure if they figured out whose "short arm" was longer.

• 3 months later...

Some of the best training I got was at the C-130 tactics school. With all of the yeehaw yanking and banking the FE's were the only ones with their heads in the cockpit a lot of the time. So if the MC-130J's don't have an FE who's going to watch things inside?

IMHO the Marines and the AF had better send crews through the tactics school in the new "attack" C-130's before deploying them. Won't happen but it could save some lives.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just joined the forum and a still a little wet behind the ears. -They have graduated two "CSOs" out of Pensacola's new schoolhouse who are headed to Cannon for the MC-130W and I happen to be one of them. I'm pretty stoked and was curious to see if anyone knows anything about the training pipeline to get on the Dragonspear/Wombat, and if in fact there's a distinction between the two. Would love to hear anyone's input.

Have a good weekend.

Dragon Spear and Wombat are the same....well, we called the original, HAR, infil/exfil, low level, airdrop W the Wombat, and the gun/sensor/sopgm version the Dragon Spear...on paper it is the Combat Spear. Wombat is the friendly name, the one everyone likes, maybe not so "professional", so of course the really blue people don't like it.. Dragon Spear is the MOD project name, it just kinda stuck around....

You'll be assigned to the 551st when you get to Cannon. It's the training squadron. You'll get some kind of class start date, then it should be ~15 wks till you're done. Apply any type of variable you want to lengthen/shorten the class...Good Luck!