outer wing information

arrad

The early wings had separate dump, refuel and crossfeed manifolds. They did not have X-valves and had no water removal systems.

The later wings combined the refuel and dump manifolds, had a water removal system and X-valves, I am sure there were structural differences. I do believe there was a difference in the location of the fuel quantity probes too.

The latest wings, I don't know (or cant recall any specifics).

I am sure if I have anything wrong, the other board members will aggressively correct me :)

Dan

1968 is when aircraft were new center wing.

TCTO 1039 RETROFIT INSTALLATION OF REDESIGNED OUTER WING, C-130 AIRCRAFT, dated, 1 OCTOBER 1983, was done to the outer wings. 72-01299 was the last aircraft to have that done to it.

So any of the book weights should be good.

Actually just about all the old E models were retrofitted with the 70's style wing.

I have only ran into one plane since the mid 80's that still had the original early 60's wings and that was a slick Hurlburt pulled out of the boneyard for - ahem - "pilot pro missions".

I don't remember if it was 62-1855 or 63(?)-7898, but you could get in trouble trying to ground transfer fuel if you weren't paying attention:eek: (the tree huggers always hate it when you accidentally dump a couple hundred gallons out the dump masts on preflight).

Dan

If you can find the part numbers ( instead of SN) on the wing these might help.

I know we modified alot of aircraft with the 'E' model wings because they had external mounted fuel probe saving fuel cell work when changing them. All of the H1's at Elmendorf where changed to 'E' wings between 97-02, I think all the H1's at least had 'E' model wing put on them. Warner Robins themselves might have a SN list of the outer wings and where they are.

When I worked at the depot in Warner Robins in the 80's, I went out with a team replacing outer wings for TCTO 1039. Two easily visible changes we made were to locate the landing lights into the leading edge (if they were not there already) and to move the tie-down rings right into the front spar location farther out on the wing. (The old wings had the tie downs aft the aft trailing edge.) Also, the wings we replaced did not have the dry bay drain tube that was external and went from the aft nacelle area to the external scupper on the inboard side of the outboard engines.

From my point of view, if you have those three things and DON'T HAVE externally mounted fuel probes, then you have the "1039 wing.)

UM, the wings installed during TCTO 1039 DO HAVE externally mounted fuel probes. They are 3-3/4" across and have 4 screws in them.

The information label for the wing should be on the training edge around OWS 180.

Edited by tinyclark

Tiny, I can tell you that by 1989, there were no externally mounted fuel probes on the wings I installed. If that changed after that, I am not aware of it. (We are speaking of a few years ago, since it has been 21 years since I installed wings.)

I had actually thought that TCTO 1039 was complete by that time, but it is tough keeping up wth TCTO actions in the civilian world.

Yeah, going by the information you have, I'd think that all the 1039 wings had external probes, too.

It also seems to suggest that the wing with externally-mounted fuel probes came out around 1983 (but in order to be on that year model, they could have come out after 1983), but that is only speculated by their statement. If I was able to check the date of the ORIGINAL TCTO 1039, I would see if those "1039 wings" were changed from the ones I installed in the 80's to those with external probes.

Thanks for the info, Tiny, that leaves me scratching in places are would not be acceptable in public. We need a Lockheed and Warner Robins historian on this site.

I see that my reference to "1039 wings" can be misleading. There have been different versions of wings installed by that TCTO. I sure wish we could get the newer wings with the externally mounted fuel probes on all of our planes. Unfortunately, vendors want to be paid for them!

Thanks for the info, Tiny.

If I remember right there was a lot of to do about the old wings when I started flying in 85, the mess all started in 83 or 84 with some kind of crash or incident.

Three levels of weight, speed and maneuver restrictions, called red wings, yellow wings and green wings - I think.

Dan

There were restrictions based on what kind of cracks and their length in the # 1 or 4 drybays. Flew 62-1784 one trip grossed out every leg to Europe and back, got home on a Sunday eve. Came up to fly on Tuesday and it was in the hanger with cracks over 18" long in both dry bays. Needless to say she sat in the hanger till depot came for her.

This was right after the Nacelle longeron fiasco. That was fun .

RZ

Part of my depot field team trip around the U.S. was replacing wings; the other part was for putting repairs into outboard dry bays on those which had riser cracks. If anyone has access, please look up the official TCTO 1039 and tell us the date. I'm sure the revisions are out there, but the original date is what I'd like to know.

If I remember right there was a lot of to do about the old wings when I started flying in 85, the mess all started in 83 or 84 with some kind of crash or incident.

Three levels of weight, speed and maneuver restrictions, called red wings, yellow wings and green wings - I think.

Dan

Not sure if it started it or not, but right after I left LRF for EDF in May 1982 a LRF bird that took off late was trying to join up with a Phase II formation and while cranking it around in a joining turn rolled back the other way to miss a bug smasher and lost a wing. I don't remember all the specifics but i do know that one of the pilots on the bird had been a student in the 16th at the time and he and his wife were renting an apartment where i lived and he always hit me up with questions whenever we were at the apartment pool at the same time.

When I went through Little Rock in '82 there were red, yellow and green wings. If I remember right the tanks were removed from yellow wings. And there were wieght, type of mission and turbulence restrictions.

When the gunships and talons got outer wings they had rounded dry bay panels, external probes and the water removal system.

Also got the dry bay drain to the engine instead of just holes in the bottom.

"Not sure if it started it or not, but right after I left LRF for EDF in May 1982 a LRF bird that took off late was trying to join up with a Phase II formation and while cranking it around in a joining turn rolled back the other way to miss a bug smasher and lost a wing."

I think that crash was in April 1982. While at FE school a few months later, we students helped unload parts from the crash into the school house. A very sad moment.