SonnyJ

JOINT BASE BALAD, Iraq -- After 47 years of service, a C-130E completed its last combat mission while in Iraq. Upon reaching its total aircraft hours of more than 33,220, the Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark. aircraft was retired.

"It's a very sad day when an aircraft retires," said Capt. Bradley Allen, 777th Expeditionary Aircraft Maintenance Unit officer in charge. "A lot of people over many years have put in hard work and countless hours to maintain the aircraft - to see this one go, especially since it is a good flyer, it is a sad day."

Although days away from retirement, tail 9813 remained vital to the mission as its last few hours of flight were spent over Iraq on an air drop mission. As the C-130 soared of Iraq cargo pallets of supplies were pushed out the aircraft to aid servicemembers across the AOR.

Previously, the aircraft served in many different roles such as humanitarian missions, airlift transport of troops and equipment, and operations during Desert Storm.

Even though Tail 9813 was a noted "good flyer" it flew the amount of hours its airframe was intended for and reached its service life.

"Some aircraft are old, and they have done their job and have done it well," said Capt. Bradley Buinicky, 777th Expeditionary Aircraft Squadron C-130 co-pilot. "Most of them are from 1962 to 1972 and flew in the Vietnam War. So there is a lot of heritage involved in each airframe and each tail specifically."

Despite the aircraft's age and even though it was heavily flown, tail 9813 was able to achieve a milestone in the maintenance arena by earning a "black letter initial" in 2007. The aircraft went with no open maintenance issues that entire year and was rated a perfect aircraft; ready for flight.

Such an honor is a reflection on every crew member that turned a wrench or inspected tail 9813, said Captain Allen.

Tail 9813 will now join more than 4,000 other aircraft at the aerospace maintenance and regeneration center, otherwise known as "the boneyard," at Davis Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.

Despite the aircraft's age and even though it was heavily flown, tail 9813 was able to achieve a milestone in the maintenance arena by earning a "black letter initial" in 2007. The aircraft went with no open maintenance issues that entire year and was rated a perfect aircraft; ready for flight.

Can someone explain this BS to me?

Where did it end up?

Bob

Tail 9813 will now join more than 4,000 other aircraft at the aerospace maintenance and regeneration center, otherwise known as "the boneyard," at Davis Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.

Can someone explain this BS to me?

In TO 00-20-1 the AFTO Form 781H, STATUS TODAY block requires the symbol reflecting the status of the aerospace vehicle.

The following is a bit out of order but explain it a bit better:

"The status symbol recorded in these columns always represent the most serious condition." ... "A black last name initial indicates no known discrepancies which require a symbol exists and no inspections are due and/or overdue on the aerospace vehicle." ... "If no discrepancies exist on the aerospace vehicle, enter the last name initial of authorized individual who accomplished or supervised the pre-flight inspection."

That person would usually be the crewchief or a reasonable facsimile there of.

325X1

Edited by 325X1
Clarify Entry.

When I was at Pope my tail # at the time (I think it was 498) was on a black letter initial for about 15 minutes. I had busted my hump getting everything taken care of so I could use the initial. It lasted as long as it took the Pro super to look at the forms and say "Ain't no way for this old of an airframe can be on an initial" He then wrote up mulitple paint scratches acft due paint!! I was sooo pissed. Thats a good way to inspire your people. What a tool that guy was.

It's probably just a misunderstanding. You tell a guy a plane got a black letter in 2007, meaning sometime in 2007, and what the guy hears is that the plane got a black letter for the year 2007. Sometimes maintainers forget how to talk to people who don't work on airplanes. You got to spell everything out.