hydraulic system

tusker

When I watch this video

it's a C-5 Galaxy

I look at the landing gear on retraction. It takes a long time for one of the right MLG to retract. What's the big deal.!! is it a lack of hydraulic flow power or something else. There must be a good reason for it!............John Boy

In the 130 if you have a bad flow regulator it will reduce the flow until the other gear is up and lock (MORE PRESSURE) to send to the slower one....sometimes it will not come all the way up... turns in to a check valve usually only affects up or down...

Wow, I am pretty certain that gear is waaayyyy out of time limits for retraction, if it ever retracted at all.

The camera guy zoomed out and couldnt see if it finally retracted, but it was still hanging when he zoomed out over 45 seconds after the gear started to retract.

Normal C5 crew briefing

"If we take off, we will treat it as an inflight emergency"

Dan

When I watch this video
it's a C-5 Galaxy

I look at the landing gear on retraction. It takes a long time for one of the right MLG to retract. What's the big deal.!! is it a lack of hydraulic flow power or something else. There must be a good reason for it!............John Boy

Looks to me that the hydraulic pump is not putting out enough pressure and could be low on fuel.

I bet they had a red handle and some music in the cockpit

When I watch this video
it's a C-5 Galaxy

On the C-5 they use position switches and logic circuit cards to control the sequence of events for gear retraction. The right gear had rotated the bogies 90 degrees inboard and then stopped. Probably a bad position switch or card, which was not that unusual of an event. They carry spare cards for inflight replacement. Or used to, as my experience is 20 years out of date.

Mike

Looks like the fwd right MLG bogey has not fully retracted. Way not normal. This bogey is powered by #4 hyd system, as is the LH fwd, which retracted normally. #4 engine powers two independant pumps for the system and due to the fact that the LH fwd retracted I'm going to assume it was not a hyd failure. The bogey rotated 90 deg and started its retraction into the well where it should enter a track, unlock the bogey, and begin another 90 deg rotation about the strut. Something failed at that point but a hyd system failure I doubt.

On the C-5 they use position switches and logic circuit cards to control the sequence of events for gear retraction. The right gear had rotated the bogies 90 degrees inboard and then stopped. Probably a bad position switch or card, which was not that unusual of an event. They carry spare cards for inflight replacement. Or used to, as my experience is 20 years out of date.

Mike

After watching the video it looks like the after the gear rotated, the guide roller for that bogie missed the track and then the door jammed. Definitley not a hyd failure in this case.

• 3 months later...

you know what!!!! I think that during the walk around, the FE forgot to remove the safety pin on this gear. Does it make sense to you guys!!...............................John Boy

The main gear pins on C-5's were hardly ever installed. I only seen one installed once. That was after some heavy (is there any other kind on a C-5) maintanance. It was even missing the remove before flight streamer. The gear would not have moved at all had it been installed.

Hi! I am on the impression that the boogie can rotate but with a pin in, no way it's gonna go up. The pin do not interact with the hydraulic sequences. But if you tell me that you never install the pins, I can't say anything else except that there is something wrong with that gear system..............John Boy

Hi! I am on the impression that the boogie can rotate but with a pin in, no way it's gonna go up. The pin do not interact with the hydraulic sequences. But if you tell me that you never install the pins, I can't say anything else except that there is something wrong with that gear system..............John Boy

I'm gonna have to drag the -1 out now..Just want to make sure that CRS is not kicking in already..I'll see check and see if the bogie will rotate with the pins installed. I'm just glad this isn't a check ride.

--Jerry Fenwick

Hey Jerry!.....don't worry about it I think you know about the C-5 much much more than I do. I haven't got a clue. But I think that a safety pin in the down lock brace will just prevent that brace from folding(unlock)

And by the way, do you have screw jacks or hyd. actuators? Interesting thread...........................John Boy

Hey Jerry!.....don't worry about it I think you know about the C-5 much much more than I do. I haven't got a clue. But I think that a safety pin in the down lock brace will just prevent that brace from folding(unlock)

And by the way, do you have screw jacks or hyd. actuators? Interesting thread...........................John Boy

Hi John,

You will get a kick of the gear set up when I find the drawings I'm looking for. When you see the complexity of the gear you won't wonder why there were so many gear problems.

I was almost done with my first engineer upgrade training after transitioning from the Starlifter. I could'nt conceal my migranes any longer and was permamently grounded. Or as I like to describe it I was drug kicking and screaming from the flight deck.

-Jerry Fenwick

• 3 weeks later...

A very good morning to you guys!.......Can't wait to see the drawings!!!....................................John Boy

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay on the drawings, had other things going on.

So far no luck in finding the drawings I'm looking for. I found some small ones in an old maint orientation handbook, but it doesn't show where the pins go. I think I have the shots I'm looking for on a training CD somewhere. I'll see if I can still find them. I know I have seen them somewhere...

--Jerry Fenwick