HC-130J

JCC140965

Didn't the paratroop doors on older HC's have the small round windows? Wouldn't this be the reason for an additional large window somewhere else. With the J's having the "square" windows in the paratroop doors does this not mitigate the need for the forward windows. I agree they are very nice to have!!!

As for the doublers, I changed a few "rectangular" windows and don't recall any special doubler installed. The drawing may show it, however. The corners are not truly square like the British Comet.

NEW as you can see from the pictures only a small doubler was required because the window was placed between ring segments.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The HC-130H and P's had round paratroop door windows...originally (many have since been replaced with square). The HC-130N's came from the factory with square paratroop door windows. The forward scanner windows were essential when I was in Rescues although this was years ago. I don't recall a large doubler on the interior but it's been along time...

Right. And if you look at the proximity of that hatch vs. where the legacy scanner window is located, it's obvious why the installation of a scanner window became an issue. Not that it couldn't be done, but at what cost? Heck, the whole panel was once the location of a forward cargo door that was phased out decades ago.

There were informal local studies that brought the harmonics of the Dowty props under scrutiny. Even sitting forward of the arc, ala SAR pallet/scanner window, some crew reported feeling stronger effects than that same position in the HC-130H's, that may have been contibuted to by the prop vibe. Nothing was conclusive but ultimatley cost was the determining factor on the USCG HC-130J's. Cost and Deepwater's failure to identify key components to carry over from the missionized H models.

I can personally attest to that. After riding one out to DM to pick up 1855, I felt like absolute crap getting off that J. Hard to describe, like your insides were kind of jumbled all around, then put back in place...sorta.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, I hope they get the fwd scanner windows. As a RO, sitting in the loadmasters seat assisting with scanning was pretty nice.

Additionally, I hope ACC keeps the RO crew position. AFSOC is pushing hard to remove the RO from the MC-130J, using the likes of a CSO, which is nothing but another Nav, or even worse, an EWO. Hopefully the RO union is strong in ACC (i'm slightly removed from ACC and the HC-130 community with my current assignment).

Man, I hope they get the fwd scanner windows. As a RO, sitting in the loadmasters seat assisting with scanning was pretty nice.

Additionally, I hope ACC keeps the RO crew position. AFSOC is pushing hard to remove the RO from the MC-130J, using the likes of a CSO, which is nothing but another Nav, or even worse, an EWO. Hopefully the RO union is strong in ACC (i'm slightly removed from ACC and the HC-130 community with my current assignment).

No RO on the MC-130J and I am 90% sure there isn't going to be one on the HC-130J.

If you've got the money, you could get these...

Pretty sweet.

Senior Sends

I went TDY to Hurlburt to flight test this mod on a MC-130E. There is a retractable arm that goes up and down that can be configured for whatever is required. The aircraft is capable of presurization. The view is spectacular. The bubble is a roll-on/roll-off mod. The paratroop door is pinned in the up position. The chair was never a requirement, but a "niceity". The bubble is designed to fit in any model of C-130 out there.

• 2 weeks later...