Phenolic clamp block

Nc97

Maple wood blocks are crap. If you have any Eng. support, you can have "suitable subs" mfg'd. Best are milled from alum. with Adel rubber around the radius. Other, better than wood are Phenolic, with or without the rubber. Wood was a staple of the era in that capacity. Those lines, for those of you who deal with them, are not very cooperative in the static installation. They do require dynamic relief with respect to hyd press and wing flex, but that is what design radii are for. I have heard that argument, and I cannot subscribe. Milled or phenolic, both are better. Make per sample, have it blessed, and get on with more important gripes.

That's what I love about the C-130 community, lots of passion. Just pointing out that the original spec calls for Maple and if that is what was ordered, that is what you would get. Sounds as if the spec should be updated to a modern, available material that will perform and hold up under use, as the Maple clampblocks are still being used on production J's. The operator always has the option to substitute their own replacement, but consideration would be to get mother Lockheed to update the material.

I agree whole heartedly, but the problem is that the Govt never plans for updating prints after they start recieving the aircraft. It's has happened with all the weapon systems now...C-5, C-130 and C-141...I know I have addressed several things that should have been updated on the prints and the answer is always the same...no money to do that. Doesn't help that Mother Lockheed wants and arm and a leg to do the task either.