Herks left at TSN

herkman

My understanding that the USAF and VNAF left behind some A models at TSN.

My understanding is that some were deliberately destroyed and some left in a derelict condition.

Does any one have a list of the ones left and the fate of the rest now gone.

Thanks

Col

So in 2006 there were seven aircraft there.

55-0001

55-0005

55-0013

56-0476

56-0482

56-0519

56-0532

Now there appear to be five, I wonder what the fate was of the missing two. Too far gone to be brought back to flying, particularly with the known three bladed prop problem.

Regards

Col

• 1 month later...

I realize that we're getting far, far away from Herk-dom, but these "SAM" or "missile" sites are actually AAA sites. Probably 85mm KS-12 or -18 or 100mm KS-19. Left/lower one seems to still be occupied. PUAZO in center with cables going out to guns. Radar, either SON-9 (Fire Can) or RPK-1 (Flap Wheel) in revetment at 2:00, outside ring of guns.

1. While these have same general layout as S-75 (SA-2) they lack the daisy-chain roads for the reload trucks. They also lack the more extensive revetments at the center of the site for the SNR-75 radar and its associated (6 or 7) trailers

2. Google "SAM Site Overview" and download the SAMSITE OVERVIEW KMZ for Google Earth for more on this.

3. Returning to all things C-130, the Soviets hauled F-5s out of VN for exploitation, wonder if they took any of the -130s?

F-5s out of VN sure brought back some memories. Back in '72 while I was stationed at Kelly as part of a RAM team. We were called out in the middle of the night and loaded onto a C-5. Stopped at Charleston, Spain, and then Iran. We were assigned to tear down and crate up the Shaw's F-5As and ship them to VN. The Shaw was getting F-5E's to replace them, courtesy of the USA. Spent 9 days there, restricted to base, working 12 hour shifts, to complete the job. We came home and someone else put back them back together in VN.

F-5s out of VN sure brought back some memories. Back in '72 while I was stationed at Kelly as part of a RAM team. We were called out in the middle of the night and loaded onto a C-5. Stopped at Charleston, Spain, and then Iran. We were assigned to tear down and crate up the Shaw's F-5As and ship them to VN. The Shaw was getting F-5E's to replace them, courtesy of the USA. Spent 9 days there, restricted to base, working 12 hour shifts, to complete the job. We came home and someone else put back them back together in VN.

Hey! I was there too! I was with the 5th Aerial Port Squadron out of RAF Mildenhall, England. We were called out on no warning type deployment. We took the palletized F5s and loaded them on the C5s.. as I remember, there were two wings on one married pallet and the fuselages were each on a married pallet. I think we put 4 F5s on each C5 . . We did get taken off base one day for a tourist type look around - but like you, we were restricted to the base the rest of the time... The good side of the tdy was we got an AF Commendation Medal for it -- the bad? Well, I had a nice Irish girl that I had just met staying with me, and when we got back, alas, she was gone.. sigh..

1977 I was one of two pilots that took 7 T-38's to Portugal for Project Peace Talon. The plan was to fly them over thu Goose, Tully etc in formation with a T-39 for navigation. During the briefing with the ATC General a smart ass loggie type said we take the wing off F-5's load them on C-5's & a T-38 is just a small F-5. I could have killed him on the spot! So that's what happened. After the birds were painted at Webb. We flew them to Kelly loaded up a C-5 with our birds, AGE equipment the RAM team and with one air refueling landed in Torrejon Spain to crew rest. The plan was to fly the C-5 to Lisbon in the morning for a big PR event put together one of the T-38's a FCF it that afternoon. Departure time for Lisbon came and the C-5 had some problem with "kneeling" and would be able to raise the gear. I said can't you fly it over gear down? Calls to the MAC Hq for approval. Long story we get to Lisbon late and the Wx is doggie popoo. We meet and greet all the DV's while the C-5 is unloaded and everything put in the hanger. That afternoon the RAM team rolls out the first bird for a picture shoot but no flying wx still sucked. The next day we did the FCF -- burner climb to 410 after takeoff switched to ATC asked to call out of 5000 we reported our of 10,000 so switched freq's and asked to report out of 20,000 we reported level at 410. :) Great next 9 months flying with some great Portuguese pilots.

i found the aircraft on google earth what u mena sam sites, u mean missle sites
I flew 56-519 from Apr 1967to Apr 1969.It was assigned to the 54th Weather Sq on Guam and was TDY to Udorn RTAFB! We flew it out of Udorn over Laos and North Vietnam! sometime in the early seventies it went back to just a C-130 and was given to the South Vietnamese Air Force Hence when its flying days were over it went to TSN!

If that aircraft could talk it would tell an interesting tale!! Ha-Ha!!!

The North Vietnamese wouldnt like the tale!!!

fitzferrari Col

• 4 months later...

I flew 56-519 out of Udorn RTAFB between 67 to 69!We flew her over Laos and North Viet-Nam. She was sent back to the states in late 1970 and went to a reserve unit! Then she was flown back to Viet-Nam and given to the South Vietnamese Airforce sometime in 1973 she ended up in 1975 being flown by the North Viet-Namese untill they couldnt keep her flying.

She was last seen to my Knowledge at Ton-Son-Nhut airport in 1999!

I realize that we're getting far, far away from Herk-dom, but these "SAM" or "missile" sites are actually AAA sites. Probably 85mm KS-12 or -18 or 100mm KS-19. Left/lower one seems to still be occupied. PUAZO in center with cables going out to guns. Radar, either SON-9 (Fire Can) or RPK-1 (Flap Wheel) in revetment at 2:00, outside ring of guns.

1. While these have same general layout as S-75 (SA-2) they lack the daisy-chain roads for the reload trucks. They also lack the more extensive revetments at the center of the site for the SNR-75 radar and its associated (6 or 7) trailers

2. Google "SAM Site Overview" and download the SAMSITE OVERVIEW KMZ for Google Earth for more on this.

3. Returning to all things C-130, the Soviets hauled F-5s out of VN for exploitation, wonder if they took any of the -130s?

Considering that they were all A-models, which had already been declared obsolete by the USAF in the mid-sixties, I seriously doubt it.

I blocked an A model in at TSN in 72 when I was there with the 38th TAS from Langley--I don't remember all the details but I think it was one of the 1st A models that the VNAF got --Bob wasn't 56-0482 assigned to Naha in the 60's--seems like I worked on it an 476 when I was there

Smitty

I flew 56-519 out of Udorn RTAFB between 67 to 69!We flew her over Laos and North Viet-Nam. She was sent back to the states in late 1970 and went to a reserve unit! Then she was flown back to Viet-Nam and given to the South Vietnamese Airforce sometime in 1973 she ended up in 1975 being flown by the North Viet-Namese untill they couldnt keep her flying.

She was last seen to my Knowledge at Ton-Son-Nhut airport in 1999!

924th/925th TAG, AF Reserve, Ellington AFB, TX, had 56-519 from the middle of 1970 until sometime after Feb 1972.