H-1 and H-2 Differences

hercmech14

Actually the differerence between the E's and H's is the H model is built to last more hours before the airframe is worn out. That's why there are H models that seem to be E models with -15 engines.

Kinda sorta wrong.

The earliest H models (disregarding the HC-H models) were built in late 73 (early 73 were E models) and all they had -15 Engines and updated outer wings.

The wings were updated to take the higher torque and add in water removal system (in lieu of ugh scavange flow pumps) and some other minor systems changes but were not designed for any "extended life" as they were basically the same wings that had been produced since 1964 for HC-H's.

Those few 73 "H" aircraft only had those two things to qualify being called H's, actually they should have been called super E's but ...as a matter of fact they have always been called super E's by the operators.

Now in 74 the sorta real H model lines started with those other updates (apu, wing divider valve etc).

It wasn't until the new center wing boxes that AFSOC developed that the any programed "Extended life" modifications came in to play, up to then it was just R&R to extend aircraft life.

Reading this thread and trying to figure out where the line is drawn between a late E model and an early H model is kind of confusing, so I had to read the production list in the Herkapedia. If it is correct, nothing after '72 is an E-model, and everything that left the factory with -15 engines (1964 HC-130H's, etc.) is an H-model (with rare exceptions). That's the only way I can keep them straight is if they were equipped from the factory with -15's. Also, our GTC job guide, the 1C-130E-2-49JG-00-1-1 shows that it is applicable to all C-130H AF73-01580 thru AF73-01599.

I think the AF should call them E's because of the similarities, but all the '73 models officially carry the H designation.

My memory may be at fault when I said early 73's were E's, maybe all 73's were designated H's but I could swear we had two 73's in the 37TAS when I was there.

I would have to dig out my old flight logs to jog my memory but I am sure Bob or some others could chime in on this specific.

Dan

According to Lars' book, the FY 1973 production line consisted of the 73-1580 thru 73-1599 "Super E's", 6 USN LC-130R's, 1 H-model for Turkey, 2 for Israel, & 3 for Denmark.

The entire 1973 production line, including the USN & foreign sales, all were basically "Super E's" with a GTC & the smaller AC packs.

Don R.

72-1299 was the last E. Robins which assigns designators elected to call all the 73's H models. I understood it was because they had -15's. All the 73's originally went to Little Rock. Most then went to EC-130H's. 5 80, 82, 90, 97, 98 went to 21 TAS, 2 of these 80, 90 were later mods to EC130H and the other 3 ended up in E Flight, later to Dyess.

None were in the 37th that I could find.

Robins calls the 73's H's, the 74's H1's and the ones starting in 78 and up H'2's, H2.5's and H3's.

Where I got confused, was it seemed the primary reason for calling the 73's H's were the -15 engines. Back in 64 starting with 64-14852 a Rescue bird they called the Rescue birds HC-130H's and the reason I heard was because they had -15 engines. 15 of these became WC-130H's.

When they cut back the WC's to 10 in 1993 Robins redesignated the remaining 4( one crashed) as C-130E's.

I asked why on the old Herk board and someone from Robins answered that they did that because they were really just E's with -15's??

Of those 4 65-0972 went to AMARC and 65-0969 was scrapped at Robins. 65-0964 and 65-0976 became HC-130P's

In a similar way 64-14859 and 65-0962 and 2 other HC-130H's were converted to EC-130H's. When they were cut back, 859 became a C-130E and 962 became a TC-130H.

Not to mention the 10 WC-130H's that are now hacks or trainers and have not changed designations at all.

I think it just depends on who is in charge at Robins at the time.

Bob

Kinda sorta wrong.

The earliest H models (disregarding the HC-H models) were built in late 73 (early 73 were E models) and all they had -15 Engines and updated outer wings.

The wings were updated to take the higher torque and add in water removal system (in lieu of ugh scavange flow pumps) and some other minor systems changes but were not designed for any "extended life" as they were basically the same wings that had been produced since 1964 for HC-H's.

Those few 73 "H" aircraft only had those two things to qualify being called H's, actually they should have been called super E's but ...as a matter of fact they have always been called super E's by the operators.

Now in 74 the sorta real H model lines started with those other updates (apu, wing divider valve etc).

It wasn't until the new center wing boxes that AFSOC developed that the any programed "Extended life" modifications came in to play, up to then it was just R&R to extend aircraft life.

To add to what Dan stated...there are basically two "later" classifications of wings. The first were the FY73 wings. These had some of the modifications required for enhanced service life. Later introduced was the FY82 wing box which had even more mods but not as much as going from early to FY73 wings. I can't remember all of the mods now but I think the main difference between FY73 and FY82 wings was the external accessible fuel probes on the FY82 wings.

For those who don't remember many(if not all) of the Dyess 74 models ended up with "B" model wings. The reason is the "B" models, the Guard/Reserve were flying, got the new wings installed as part of the wing mods. When the "Bs" were sent to AMARC they took the wings from the Bs and rewinged the Hs from Dyess.

I really got educated on all this wing stuff when we were trying to FCF the the crossdecked Navy LCs at Waco. The Navy LCs had FY 73 wings(73 and 76 models). We initially FCFd the first one with the FY73 wings but later had to do the FCF again after it was rewinged.