That C-130 Sound

donwon

I had to go to a furneral close to the old Myrtle Beach AFB Wensday.

We went back to the home of a relitave and were sitting in his garage whan a plane flew over.

I told him it was a C-130, he said no its just some big old prop job.

I got up went out and looked and it was a Herk and I tole him so.

He said they do touch and goes quiet often and fly over his house in doing so.

He was surprised to know I knew it by just the sound.

Today on the way home we rode up highway 17 past where the old base was and saw where the houses had been torn down.

That part was all grown up. It has been some time since I have been by there.

I also think there is an airline using the old runways.

We used to go camping and watch the Warthogs take off out over the beach.

did many touch and go's down there, shame they closed that place. Nice flight down there from Pope, then up the coast and fly over Kitty Hawk....

The locals here in Hell..oops..I mean clovis...have to learn to love that sound, they asked for it, now they got it...had a open house the other day......

locals-"these things are noisy, you always fly over my house at night..."

"do you always have to fly at night..."

"are those jet engines on the wings?" (while pointing at re-fueling pods)

It's a totally unique sound, and the J's (as cool and advanced as they are) don't have it. You can always tell when it's the 179th on a training flight and not just any other plane.

I think my favorite sound of the mighty herk is when they finally touch down, and you usually hear "squeak (mains) squeak (nose) ROAAAR (reversers)". Goes from silent to ROAR in no time...that roar is awesome. :cool:

I guess with all of the old Fighter aircraft sitting static at the Cannon main gate... they must have flown mostly during the day.... or the folks have memory loss.... they can't deal with the sound of Freedom, but they sure as heck like to spend the $$$ used to make it.

I say this every time ...I grew up on that noise.

The other afternoon while shooting the breeze in the parking lot with two co-workers. A herk flew over at a high altitude. This one was not coming in over the mountains like they usually would. But this one was high up. One other coworker and myself looked up. The third co-worker was confused, as to why we just stopped conversation and ignored him.

Like dogs hearing that potato chip bag crinkle. :P

ftr - the other coworker was a loadie betwee 63-66.

It's a totally unique sound, and the J's (as cool and advanced as they are) don't have it. You can always tell when it's the 179th on a training flight and not just any other plane.

I think my favorite sound of the mighty herk is when they finally touch down, and you usually hear "squeak (mains) squeak (nose) ROAAAR (reversers)". Goes from silent to ROAR in no time...that roar is awesome.

You got that right, that's probably the one thing that I hate most about the J (even more than the loss of the FE 41.gif).

If you not looking right at the plane you would think its some pokey little ATR, its just not right. In fact its as wrong as two boys humpingfagbuddies.gif

I think we should all contact our congressman and demand that any future purchase of J models should require a mod that places loud speakers to broadcast real Herk sounds during ground ops:rolleyes:

Seriously, I will never be able to reconcile that odd sound with a Herk.

Dan

I think my favorite sound of the mighty herk is when they finally touch down, and you usually hear "squeak (mains) squeak (nose) ROAAAR (reversers)". Goes from silent to ROAR in no time...that roar is awesome. :cool:

I damn near walked out infront of the first J I ever saw in R.A.A.F. Richmond back in 2000 or so. I was wearing my yellow foam earplugs and spun around to head inside. Never even heard it until I saw it. I was basically under the right wing tip when I turned around. Then I heard it........sounded like a C-12 after I took out my earplugs.

My favorite: During taxi in LSGI. One knob up, then all to ground idle. Feel the growl!

We ony had Ground Idle, Flight Idle, and above, also reverse.

I may be rong about this but the engines ran from 94% rpm to 103%. On the a models???

I got a bad case of CRS.

It's pretty strange...first (only) one I heard was a USMC Herk "Otis 1-5" that came from Cherry Point to MFD to shoot approaches...I went outside and thought "well that sure as hell is a herk, but what is that noise?". :confused: :D

Oh well, it's better than Uncle Sam not wanting any more new Herks I guess. :(

You got that right, that's probably the one thing that I hate most about the J (even more than the loss of the FE 41.gif).

If you not looking right at the plane you would think its some pokey little ATR, its just not right. In fact its as wrong as two boys humpingfagbuddies.gif

I think we should all contact our congressman and demand that any future purchase of J models should require a mod that places loud speakers to broadcast real Herk sounds during ground ops:rolleyes:

Seriously, I will never be able to reconcile that odd sound with a Herk.

Dan

Dan,

I have never heard a J-Model, and probably never will. But I will have to take your word for it. After your description, I am sure I don't ever want to hear a J! Especially knowing the sound is as wrong as two boys humping!!!!

Ken