Harvest HAWK Completes Phase One Testing

fltsload

Thats really disappointing.

When they said a ro ro weapon system I figured it would be something useful like guns. This is really kind of a worthless system, your losing the capability of refueling planes that carry a large variety of ord for the exchange of mounting what, maybe four hellfires?

Waste of money and a waste of a refueler if thats all it is.

I sure as hell hope the wombat mod actually involves something you can really kill with.

Dan

When they said a ro ro weapon system I figured it would be something useful like guns. This is really kind of a worthless system, your losing the capability of refueling planes that carry a large variety of ord for the exchange of mounting what, maybe four hellfires?

I sure as hell hope the wombat mod actually involves something you can really kill with.

Dan

Back in '83 when we went to Red Flag with the 17th, we attended a briefing where a "proposal" was to arm a Herk with air-to-air weapons with the racks mounted on the fuselage, or some other non-obvious places, so it could fly in a formation with regular Herks and attack any airborne threats without being seen as an obvious threat first glance.

Guess it never really panned out. I agree with Dan. Why take away a refuel asset when the launch rails could be mounted elsewhere.

Dan

Dan, I know where your hear is (and believe me I flew the same mission for 10+ yrs), but for the AF SOCCOM has made the decision that an overwatch/strike capability is important enough to go in the hole with HAR birds until the MC-130J comes on line. We aren't in the need of HAR as much as we are having the ability to put "warheads on foreheads" with our SOF members on the ground.

Yeah but three or four missiles then empty isn't what I would call a warheads on foreheads win, it needs some guns to be truly effective.

If you want hellfires, call in a fighter. They carry more and when their empty they can go back to base, refuel and rearm and be back on station before a herk can even get back to base.

Hell if you want true overhead, pallatize a 20mm, 25mm,, or 30mm and stick it out the paratroop door, a couple missiles is small thinking that will end up being too little in the end, wait and see.

Dan, I know where your hear is (and believe me I flew the same mission for 10+ yrs), but for the AF SOCCOM has made the decision that an overwatch/strike capability is important enough to go in the hole with HAR birds until the MC-130J comes on line. We aren't in the need of HAR as much as we are having the ability to put "warheads on foreheads" with our SOF members on the ground.

Gary, I know what your saying but my point really has nothing to do with losing HAR capes, it has to do with losing HAR capes for too little return if they just hang three or four hellfires on it. Hell they got predators that can do that.

Dan, the Marines have taken a different approach than the AF has. The remission of the MC-130 and new AC-J will have something different missile and gun wise. I'm sure you read about it on the internet. Yes I know Pred's can deliver Hellfires, I'm at school learning to fly them as I type...see what getting promoted will do. After being a FE for 21+ years, it's a mind shift.

GG