C-130E 64-0500

casey

0500 was at EDF when I got there in '82. The only 64 model, the other 10 were 63 Es. It was re-assigned not all that long after I got to EDF. Got some hours on her. We heard that she had be modded and was flying in Central America doing some, uh, covert stuff, but that was '83 or so.

I remember that plane well, I was at EDF from 82-85 as a crew chief. I never saw one C-130 that spent so much time in fuel cell, I think we tried to get depot to reseal it but it never happened. I do remember the Crew Chief always took good care of that airplane.

Sad for any herc to be in that condition. Remember the ol girl when Pope gave her to us back in the late 80's. She was all jacked up then, but a young crewchief took her on and gt her in good shape. Then one day the gave her away, and the next time I saw her was in picture getting ready to be scrapped at Sheppard.

Engine Mike

Just for grins, I looked up this tail number in my log book and I see that I flew it 3 times while at CCK.

1. 13 Oct 1967: Tuy Hoa-Dak To II-Tuy Hoa-Dak To II-Tuy Hoa-Dak To II-Qui Nhon-Tuy Hoa (7 legs)

2. 12 Dec 1967: CCK-Ping Tung DZ (Drops)-CCK

3. 26 May 1968: Tuy Hoa-Phouc Vinh-Dak To II-Qui Nhon-Phouc Vinh-Dak To II-Phouc Vinh-Dak To II-Tuy Hoa (8 legs)

Three days in the life of 64-500. Some of you will recall these destinations.

Sort of. It was the acft used for QK after it was removed from the HTTB. Initial tests were flown on the HTTB by LM Aero's Flying Ops personnel, but that got too expensive. The Big Safari office decided follow-on testing could/should be done by the Det (with lots of help from the Talon community) on 0500.

Hate to see her go. Did lots of interesting things with that bird.