C-130A "Roman Nose"

utes01

Does anyone have a good photo (or technical cocuments) of the "Roman Nose" C-130A looking aft at the nose? I am trying to get some good details of the two or three items on the nose. One I have been told is a taxi light but I cannot make out what the other(s) are. Are they ream air vents or other lights?

This is the best I have found.....

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1054/1163487610_59a4aa6276.jpg?v=0

Any help is appreciated!

David Horn II

There were 2 prototypes 1001 &1002 and 27 A's 53 and 54 models with the Roman nose.

From what I can find there are 4 AC-130A's in Museums but these have modified noses.

Some of the others were modified for tthe USAF and for FMS. Oethers wre broken up.

From what I can find there are only three Roman nose A's in existence. 53-3131 (3003) an aeromed trainer at Shepherd AFB. Since Aeromed training is leaving for San Antonio, I don't know what will become of it. 54-1624 (3011) is at the National yard at Tucson. 54-1632 (3019) is in Western Yard at Tucson.

54-1622 (3009) GIA at Tobyhana PA, I can't tell if the nose was modified or not.

Bob

Here are some pictures out of the T.O.

I see the Lone Wolf (last US Air Force flying A-model) 5500022 in the background of one of the picture

I'm pretty sure that is 0024. "22" is parked on Eglin's range. She was a beautiful airplane and should have been put on display. :(

Yep, bottom square is G/S antenna

Lower light is taxi light

Upper light is "passing light"

I guess if you had a few of these flying in formation, you could flash the one up ahead and pass her, like on the autobahn.

:-)

passing light -- must be for when you finnaly catch up to that bug smasher 172 you can pass :) LOL

What what I can remember from long ago times past, the passing light was used when approaching other aircraft for better location of the aircraft. Have to remember back in the day of not as good traffic control, radar, etc.

Of course creeping up behind a bug smasher and hitting the switch might cause them to emit a foul odor and a brown stain in their seat, and UFO calls to ATC...... :eek:

The aircraft in the drawing was too old. 1953-54 A-Models predated the Canadian Marconi APN-147 Doppler, ASN-35 Nav Computer the B and E models carried.

Reference the drawing, on E models the Doppler Radome would be forward, between the VHF Comm Ant and the bottom TACAN Ant. It looked like the UHF ant illustration bt turned 90 degrees.

Somewhere around March, April or May of 64 we carried 56-468 to Dyess AFB to have

some doppler modifications. Could have been to add APN 58 or 59 I don't remember which.

468 was the first one we carried out there and took the longest to modify.

I don't remember how many planes we carries out there for the mod.

We were also told it was so they could fly over the oceans.

Me and Red Hutchins went with the 468.

There was a Sgt Harbison that was assigned to 468 as CC for the Mod.

We got a big dislikeing for each other while at Dyess.

When we got back to Sewart he complained to Wysocki and told him he didn't want me on His plane anymore.

Sgt Shifflett was in the room and told Wysocki that he wanted me on his plane so I worked for Shifflett the rest of the time I was at Sewart.

Shifflet Carried his family to Naha and I was on his plane over there also.

Around Aug, or Sept. 64 we started takeing the planes to Clark, and had to "Island Hop"

for fuel reasons.

That Doppler Mod. at Dyess was done in the SAC area by civlians.

I dropped my security badge one day and one of the workers saw I didn't have it on

and called a 7 high on me.

I had my badge in my hand when the AP,s got there, but they carried me in anyway.

Wombat,

Yes, I'd like to see any photos that you have. Could I post them at the AWRA (Air Weather Reconnaissance Association) message board? 3133 used to have AWRO weather officers and MET/ARE repairmen assigned. The two specially modified aircraft used by the AFGL at Hanscom AFB, JC-130A 53-3133 and MC-130E 64-0571 are unique in using MET/ARE repairmen to operate the data recording instruments. They sat on seats before two racks on pallets in the cargo bay. The MET/ARE troops preflighted the equipment and downloaded the tapes and performed maintenance. Other weather aircraft used weather officers (ARWO) or enlisted weather observers (drop) or SEO (special equipment operators) to operate the weather equipment in flight.

Best wishes

Grant