Davis Monthan

Wil Sanchez

That was 1832 with the sharks mouth?

Damn, you just ruined my morning - poor airplane.

All I can say is that conestoga and the funky thing with the vortex generators on the top of the plane are some butt uglybirds13875.gifeck15.gif

I am sooooo glad I flew on the most gorgeous bird ever built and not some turd looking thing:D

Zantop flew Logair/Log Air flights. Contracted priority airflift service operated for the USAF. They served the AFLC centers and picked up or delivered cargo to different bases. For a short time Hawaiian Air Cargo with L-188s had the contract. Zantop had fallen out of favor and a deal was made with Hawaiian to pick it up. At least one of the Hawaiian Air Cargo L-188s still had the old Zantop markings with the red stripe on the fuselage. Most flew with the new Hawaiian colors with the girl on the tail. Zantop got the contract back and later reacquired the Hawaiian Air cargo L-188s.

Best wishes,

Grant

• 1 month later...

There is still one complete C-141 waaay down the back of AMARG in the battle damage area, Area 28. It doesn't look like it has been demiled yet either. The other one that is seen from the bus tour is 64-0614, the one which survived the double assymetric engine failure on takeoff in 1977. There is a group of former C-141 guys out of Cailfornia thrying to obtain the forward fuselage from the wheel wells foward to set up as a memorial for those who flew the C-141.

There is still one complete C-141 waaay down the back of AMARG in the battle damage area, Area 28. It doesn't look like it has been demiled yet either. The other one that is seen from the bus tour is 64-0614, the one which survived the double assymetric engine failure on takeoff in 1977. There is a group of former C-141 guys out of Cailfornia thrying to obtain the forward fuselage from the wheel wells foward to set up as a memorial for those who flew the C-141.

I was always hoping that at least a couple of "low time" airframes would be stored as opposed to turning them all into beer cans. That way I can hope to be on a ferry flight crew to a museum someplace. I do hope that at least some of 614 will be saved in some manner. That dual engine failure was/is legendary in the heavy world. It was still simulated on two engine day in the sim. For trivia purposes the accident happened at RAAF Richmond down under. An airborne Herk assisted with guiding the 141 back through the river valley to the runway, trailing burning parts the whole way.

--Jerry Fenwick

Jerry,

I was on the Richmond ramp at the time and also on the parts pickup crew that went off base to retrieve whatever we could find.

I have supplied some up-dated info and pictures to Mike Novack for the C-141 Heaven site. I have also recently received a copy of the log book entry from the Herc pilot, Eric Lundberg.

Bob M

Jerry,

I was on the Richmond ramp at the time and also on the parts pickup crew that went off base to retrieve whatever we could find.

I have supplied some up-dated info and pictures to Mike Novack for the C-141 Heaven site. I have also recently received a copy of the log book entry from the Herc pilot, Eric Lundberg.

Bob M

Sweet! Hopefully Mike can load them up. I look forward to seeing them.

--Thanks,

Jerry Fenwick

Sweet! Hopefully Mike can load them up. I look forward to seeing them.

--Thanks,

Jerry Fenwick

You can check the site anytime. They were loaded some time back along with with a rough graphic of what the flightpath was. For interest, the crew were around 170ft BELOW runway level when they regained control. The runway sits in high ground next to a river. The left seater, Bob Brown, said he was looking up at the roofs of the houses just before passing overtop. It was interesting to see a C-141 disappear below the tree line then reappear 1/2 mile away slowly climbing.

Unfortunately the pilot who took control passed away about 4 years ago. I believe Bob Brown was doing his check ride at the time!

Jim, I took quite a few pictures of C-130's in private junkyards. I was very sad to see them in various states of disassembly. I never posted any of the pics because I didn't want to start a bunch of people on this board crying. I too Love the Herk and didn't want to think about any of them being scrapped. I was hoping they could all keep flying forever. It also points to our being put into retirement. We did our job and provided our country with the support it needed during a difficult time n our history. Take care and thanks for your service and to all who visit this site.

Wil

You can check the site anytime. They were loaded some time back along with with a rough graphic of what the flightpath was. For interest, the crew were around 170ft BELOW runway level when they regained control. The runway sits in high ground next to a river. The left seater, Bob Brown, said he was looking up at the roofs of the houses just before passing overtop. It was interesting to see a C-141 disappear below the tree line then reappear 1/2 mile away slowly climbing.

Unfortunately the pilot who took control passed away about 4 years ago. I believe Bob Brown was doing his check ride at the time!

I went to the C-141 site right after you posted the DM pic of 614. I was thinking "why does 614 sound familier?" I checked the tail number roster and found out why. Nice to hear the story from someone who was there.

Thanks,

Jerry Fenwick

• 3 years later...