Just got Cert'ed as an Instructor FE Today

It was a longer than ususal road - I had a few bumps at LRAFB, including having to come home for my wife's surgery (she's fine) - but I made it back there, finished the course, and had my cert board today (with another FE from my squadron). I'm a little nervous, still wonder if they picked the right guy, but will treat this responsibility with the respect it deserves. The scheduler already has me flying with a student next week.

Whoo!

Thanks to all the guys who supported me, and I won't let you down.

Mark

Congratulations on your step up the professional ladder:)

Its a very rewarding upgrade and try to keep up the motivation.

Just remember when you have a student, teach no techniques and even hesitate to mention one lest the student feels forced to comply to pass the flight. I always figured they can find their own bad habits on their own LOL

Keep in mind everytime you have had an instructor hanging over your shoulder, and remember everything they did that was braindead, idiotic, pissed you off and just plain wrong and try your best to keep away from things like that since your student will feel the same as you did.

Paperwork is the biggest PITA of the job but remember to document everything, I used to tell the students that I am not hammering them by documenting this switch missed or that switch missed but its is for his own good to help identify possible trends that need worked with.

Sorry for the soapbox and congratulations again on the promotion.

(kiss your knees goodbye though, wait until your standing for assault landings when some staff toad is trying to get his currency, or sustained 3.5g turns).

My Uncle used to be a B-58 pilot. He went from that to a C-123. How's that for a step down?

Given the unstart problems with the J79 in that installation, it might have been safer flying a -123 into a grass strip with small arms fire. :)

-106A,

"Thanks to all the guys who supported me, and I won't let you down."

- says all we need to know about you. Thanks for your service.

Congrats!

'F106A' -- Ah well, ya never forget your first love!

So, I was expecting to have my cherry IF ride next week, but circumstances changed, and I ended up being added to an off-station, OCONUS, "other" trip that we left yesterday on. I don't really have a student, but he is a rookie, and the Chief wanted an IF with him on this trip.

So we take off from KDYS, and right off the bat we get the right MLG fail to retract! We check it out, get the book out, work the problem, and the AC decides she wants us to put the gear restraints on. I had the rookie do it while I sat primary, then I would go inspect it, and we'd lower the gear. Just as he (and our FCCs) get them on we got a prop low oil light on #4!! Okay, work that issue. RPM was fine, it wasn't pitchlocked, but the AC said, "Get rid of it." Done. Now lower the gear. Everything is fine, we land with no problem, and use the full length. MOC already told us to just taxi off the main, and they would tow it. I took the landing, so I took the after landing and engine shutdown too. We give the engines their two minutes, and #1 would not shut down when the co- took 'em to ground stop! When it rains, it pours!

Before we even started restraining the gear they were preflighting a spare for us, so we just jumped to it when we debriefed everyone. We're on a short delay right now, and should be home next week.

What a cherry ride!

Mark

'F106A' -- Ah well, ya never forget your first love!

So, I was expecting to have my cherry IF ride next week, but circumstances changed, and I ended up being added to an off-station, OCONUS, "other" trip that we left yesterday on. I don't really have a student, but he is a rookie, and the Chief wanted an IF with him on this trip.

So we take off from KDYS, and right off the bat we get the right MLG fail to retract! We check it out, get the book out, work the problem, and the AC decides she wants us to put the gear restraints on. I had the rookie do it while I sat primary, then I would go inspect it, and we'd lower the gear. Just as he (and our FCCs) get them on we got a prop low oil light on #4!! Okay, work that issue. RPM was fine, it wasn't pitchlocked, but the AC said, "Get rid of it." Done. Now lower the gear. Everything is fine, we land with no problem, and use the full length. MOC already told us to just taxi off the main, and they would tow it. I took the landing, so I took the after landing and engine shutdown too. We give the engines their two minutes, and #1 would not shut down when the co- took 'em to ground stop! When it rains, it pours!

Before we even started restraining the gear they were preflighting a spare for us, so we just jumped to it when we debriefed everyone. We're on a short delay right now, and should be home next week.

What a cherry ride!

Mark

Guess I am being a Monday morning quarterback. But why chain the gear down if it was already down locked and safe? As far as the prop low oil lite -- I recall the procedure being changed years ago and you had options weather to shut down or not. But that's been over 20 years and gallons of beers. Most important you all did #1 and got the bird safetly on the ground.

Guess I am being a Monday morning quarterback. But why chain the gear down if it was already down locked and safe? As far as the prop low oil lite -- I recall the procedure being changed years ago and you had options weather to shut down or not. But that's been over 20 years and gallons of beers. Most important you all did #1 and got the bird safetly on the ground.

Yea, we talked about that, but the AC decided she wanted the restraints. We didn't use the chains. As far as the prop low oil light, you are right. I've flown with that light on with no problems, and waited until just before landing before we shut it down. With the other problem, the AC decided to just get rid of it. Besides, it was good training for the rookie! And, me too for that matter.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...