FUEL LEAK

HERKY 3615

Hi, lately I have been working in an C-130E because we have a fuel leak around number 3 tank but I can´t find anything, we already retorque the booster pump panel acces, I checked the dry bay number three and center and behind flap wheel, but everything is dry there is any fuel. It starts to leak when we are between 15000 througt 18000 ft high and is visible near to the morring point in rh. I would like to get some information to get the leak fixed up.

:confused:

Hi, lately I have been working in an C-130E because we have a fuel leak around number 3 tank but I can´t find anything, we already retorque the booster pump panel acces, I checked the dry bay number three and center and behind flap wheel, but everything is dry there is any fuel. It starts to leak when we are between 15000 througt 18000 ft high and is visible near to the morring point in rh. I would like to get some information to get the leak fixed up.

:confused:

Not sure this question is posted in the right area but I'm sure the mods will place this in the appropriate section.

As for your leak the best thing to do is to pressurize the tank using a manometer. Use leak detect solution (soapy water) on the entire wing upper, lower, dry bay, and flap well surfaces. This is the best way to identify a leak. We use this method everyday at the depot. Send me a private message if you have any other questions.

Not sure from your description where your leak is coming from but... I've seen several "mystery in-flight leaks" over the years yet everything is fine on the ground. Check the wiggins fittings in the flapwells. I've seen these leak in-flight but not problem on the ground...You might have to work them all in the affected area. Check the comp probes. They can leak in-flight off the top of the wing and give the appearance of coming from a flapwell.

Good luck...

I have seen a lot of leaks develop in this area due to improper hardware installed in the wing splice panel...If longer screws were used in this area it would negate the sealed nut plates in the main tanks.

This is a good point as well. We had one last week where this occurred. The domenuts at the front and back ends of the splice panel have particular length screws that must be used. If you put one in that is too long the seal on the nutplate will be lost and you will certainly get a leak.

Well guys, when I was for Air Canada, .....I was a tank sealer for a certain period of time. Beleive me, I went in fuel tanks quite a few times. We were doin' "negative checks". So, we were makin' vacuum in the tank,........spray some dye liquid outside the suspected wing surface area. Then, we were goin' into the tank, crawlin' like rats with a light, ......and could see the signs of leaks. We never missed the target!!...............we were "tank sealers"

We were the guys who could fix the problem!!! Give me $ and I'll fix it!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

If the plane is in a climb with the tank full it could be coming from the (bathtub fitting),the areas in the top corner of the tank ( rear of the tank.It will leak from the extreme top part of the tank in the flapwell . The FIX is to enter the tank ,scrape and inject sealant into the sealant ports...

• 1 month later...