Gun ship question

SergF

I took the kids to the air park on Hurby last night and noticed some different things and just wanted to ask about them. I didn't really get to take it all in since I was trying to make sure they didn't run out into the street(they're 2 & 3). I want to say that it's a '58.

First thing I noticed were the landing lights. They were extended from the flap well instead of the leading edge. The second was the safety valve is top and center on the cargo door. Last were the outer wing pylons. Just wanting to satisfy mine and my son's curiosity. Thanks.

You were looking at an AC-130A...an A-Model C-130. There are significant differences between an A-Model and later Models (i.e. E and H). Landing lights, safety valve location and external tanks are just a few of the differences. The tail number in the airpark is: 56-0509.

Thanks. Did that sound like a normal config for the time then?

Those little differences you saw were either common to all A models or specific to what is refered to as an Early A Model. All A's had outboard pylons and trailing egde landing lights but only the early A's had the mid-door safely valve. Likewise they had manual GTC doors that were modded later to leave the intake and exhaust open all the time.