AN/APN 241

Anybody out there no where to get a breakdown of what each card does in the RTP? I have tried, to no avail, to find a back shop to in the eq/to xref using ETIMS but had no luck. We are just now getting some tails with this system and the 206a and standing up an ECM shop for the first time. Any advice or tips with these new systems sure would hook us up!

I've never has any luck trying to get any info out of anyone. A basic block diagram sure would be nice. Of course, we don't need all that useless information any more, or an avionics backshop either. All you need to fix probems are the job guides and F.I.s. This is the kinder and gentler AF.

I will re-engage the issue and see what I can come up with. They had a 241 backshop up at Marrietta years ago, and an old comm/nav gal from Rhein Main worked there, but I can't remember her married name so can't get in touch.

Attached it the very basic diagram out of the (H)H-2-11

Edited by tinyclark

I've never has any luck trying to get any info out of anyone. A basic block diagram sure would be nice. Of course, we don't need all that useless information any more, or an avionics backshop either. All you need to fix probems are the job guides and F.I.s. This is the kinder and gentler AF.

Years ago I gave an Intermediate Level Carousel IV-E INS course to include gyro platform (ball) repair. It was very heavy in theory. As a result, over a three year period out of 600 INUs through the backshop, zero were returned to depot.

Out of all of the students through my class there were a handful that complained that so much detailed theory was unnecessary. It was always those individuals who would end up struggling to understand difficult malfunctions, asking advice, and relearning some of that unnecessary theory.

Also seemed that every T.O. review or validation I attended in later years I ended up fighting harder and harder to add theory or keep it from being pulled out.

Doing away with paper T.O.s is another wrongheaded initiative in my mind.

Not trying to hijack the thread but this caught my eye. When I was in QA at Zwei one of my duties was Wing TODO. I've been out a long time but are they really doing away with "paper" T.O.s? I can think more than one occasion at a remote location I had to set up a "back shop" in the back of a Step Van (PSM 6/37, soldering pencil plugged into a Lite All, flashlight and a T.O.) and there was certainly no facilities for running a computer, etc. Have things changed that much? And I thought POMO was a bad idea! "Kinder, Gentler AF" indeed!

They are slowly going away. The big thing with C130 T.O.s is IETM, Integrated Electronic Tech Manual. It helps you troubleshoot and highlights wires to check in the diagrams. Still ain't working tho.

I submitted an AFTO22 to explain how the 26VAC is used by the anti-skid system during self test. I was told by the "subject matter expert" that the technicians didn't need all that information.

I am so glad I am retiring in 5 months.

It's not so bad that being in maintenance means you are knee deep in crap all the time, it's when you have to stand on your head in it is when it really hurts.

I submitted an AFTO22 to explain how the 26VAC is used by the anti-skid system during self test. I was told by the "subject matter expert" that the technicians didn't need all that information.

I would venture to say you just taught your "SME" something "he" never knew. I also wouldn't be surprised if your suggestion ends up silently slipped into the tech data a few months down the road. I've seen it happen.

They are slowly going away. The big thing with C130 T.O.s is IETM, Integrated Electronic Tech Manual. It helps you troubleshoot and highlights wires to check in the diagrams. Still ain't working tho.

IETMs has potential to do and offer great things... getting to that point will be interesting though.

Also, Tiny, if you've got any improvements for the -23 books, you let me know! I was/am very disappointed with the info that's in the 130 GS manuals. The 135 GS manuals must have spoiled me. And over time, I hope to bring the 130 books up to my standards. Good thing I'm not retiring in 5 mos! But congrats to you!