EC-130E Commando/Volant Solo

Weasel Pilot

A few questions, hopefully someone can enlighten me!

1. When did the mission change from Volant Solo to Commando Solo? yes I know when AFSOC took over, but when exactly?

2. Dash one was LTM 1EC-130E(RH)-1. What did the (RH) stand for? Aircraft mod was Rivet Rider (I thought).

Thanks,

Dave Mason

Guess this applies to all the Special Ops modifed 130s, why didn't the designation use a configuration number (EC-130E-III, for example) instead of the modification code name, IE: MC-130E (Y) or here, EC-130E (RH)?

yes, I know E-III was already taken, but why not E-IV, or whatever wasn't taken?

Also, what did the unit refer to these aircraft as?

Dave

Weasel Pilot and Jeffysan, how are you guys? OK I need more info. I just read Volant Solo, Commando Solo, Rivet Rider and Rivet Hunter. Since I haven't been involved with Herks for about 40 years I'm lost. The only EC-130E variant I know of is the ABtripleC aircraft I was on in 1967. It was # 62-1809 which ended up in the desert in Iran.

Wil

Easy to get lost with special mission EC- acft.

EC-130E ABCCC Airborne Cmd Post Keelser/DM

EC-130E (RR) Rivet Rider Psy Ops PaANG Harrisburg

EC-130E (RH) Rivet Hunter Psy OPs PaANG Harrisburg

EC-130E WWCTV "Disaster Response" PaANG Harrisburg

EC-130H Rivet Fire Elec Jamming DM

EC-130V Project Delphi Drug Interdiction USCG No longer in service

Anybody know, were the winches/cable reels for the two trailing wire antennas both in the aft cargo area? The vertical TW antenna supposedly exited out the bottom of the fuselage, fwd of the sponsons. Area above this had the mission crew, so equipment had to be elsewhere.

Dave