Hydraulic IFE in Iraq?

jbob

From what I read in the base paper, it was a C-130 from the 777 out of Balad taking passengers to some other airfield when the "main" hydraulic system (utility) sprung a leak and made a hydraulic fluid haze in the cargo compartment while loosing several gallons. The loads had the passengers don the O2 masks, then manually extended the landing gear. The passengers and crew were seen by medical professionals on landing, then the passengers were taken to their destination by another C-130 from the 777.

None of this is a direct quote, just what I remember from the LRAFB newspaper, the Combat Airlifter.

Do these newer Herks now carry Oxygen for the passengers?

If so where? Are they like regular passenger planes and have a mask at each seat?

USAF Herks carry EPOS or Emergency Passenger Oxygen System for the pax. They are normally thrown on some litter stantion brackets or behind the seat.

Crew members have the option of using their helmet/mask hooked up to an oxygen source on the aircraft, a firefighter/smoke mask hooked to an oxygen bottle, or utilize an EEBD (Emergency Escape Breathing Device).

USAF Herks carry EPOS or Emergency Passenger Oxygen System for the pax. They are normally thrown on some litter stantion brackets or behind the seat.

Crew members have the option of using their helmet/mask hooked up to an oxygen source on the aircraft, a firefighter/smoke mask hooked to an oxygen bottle, or utilize an EEBD (Emergency Escape Breathing Device).

I always preferred my helmet/mask combo. Protect my noggin.... EEBD... Sounds like something you use when trying to get out of a sunken sub.

Never heard that one, how long ago did that happen? I got here in '92 & haven't ever heard it.

That happened over here in the sandbox. And yes, it was the 777 EAS that had a crew entrance door separate from the aircraft in flight.

Well, I said it was an LRF crew at their BEST, right?

My only point is that ALL C-130 units kick ass! And I will say a blanket statement that ALL C-130 units have had at least one major F-up that made them look bad.

I have seen LRAFB totally dominate and right behind them is a Dyess unit that takes it one step higher followed up by a Pope Squadron take over a whole country. We can even talk Reserve and Guard units doing the mission in spite of getting a lot of guff from AD guys. (only two weeks at a time! LOL!) You ever fly with Yokota crews....Very good guys.

I think the C-130 world brings it on harder than any other airframe in the world (opinion only). We should unite against those girlie T-tail/Gucci, appletini, salad eating, soccer playing, .....guys......

Silly/sarcastic mode off:

Oh, and thanks for all the work you have done on the AMP. I think it is so needed and we will never see it but you guys sure put out 100% of your attention and effort. I sure wish the fleet could have benefited from it. I really mean that.