NAME THAT RESORT

Mt.crewchief

Just got a new scanner for my slides so here are some previously unpublished photos of a resort area (sandy beaches anyway) that many of us spent a lot of time soaking up the sun at!!

Ken

I guess some of the other photos are too big????

Edited by Mt.crewchief
Photo(s)?

Muff, you are the winner!! Many of us won't ever forget that place. I was there almost monthly from Sept 67-June 70 ! The slide copier I just got is an Image Box from Costco. It does both prints and slides! Film strips also. It is easier to used than the way I was doing it previously with a slide copier mounted on the end of a tele-photo lens. It is not complicated, but I still am learning how to use it!

Ken

I see Adorama also has a slide copier listed now! Looks similar to mine!

I was gonna guess CRB, but I never saw the place like that.

I don't remember seeing the place in the daytime.

It was still a PSP runway the last time I was there.

I have been told I was confusing it with another place where

a Herk hit a hole in the PSP and tore the nose gear out

on take off roll, and the Army tried to move it off the

runway with a cable through the cockpit windows.

Donwon, there was a C-130 carcass off to the right of the road going from the flightline to Herky Hill at CRB that no longer had wings etc. I had heard it was shoved off the runway by a bulldozer. It was there from 67 to 70 for sure!

I do have a pic of it somewhere, and will post it when I find it!!!

I don't think your CRS is as bad as you think it is!! Unless of course you drank too many of those rusty steel topped Carling Black Labels! I know I am going to apply for VA assistance due to over-indulgence! Probably would fall under the same category as Agent Orange!!!!!

Ken

PS, after further thought, I think the carcass was not too far from the terminal laying semi-upright in the sand!!!

It happened while I was at Naha. Late 65, or first part of 66.

The number I am thinking was 533 or 5033. It was an "A".

We would land on the PSP and turn around and go back to the wide space

at the start of the runway and unload then turn around and take off.

We didn't stay on the ground any longer than to unload.

Dearstone, We probably know each other! I got to CCK in March 1969 and was also in the 314th OMS. I was CC on 62-1804.

Here (hopefully), are some more pics I just scanned that will refresh your memory of "home"

Ken

HerkyHill0013.jpg

HerkyHill0015.jpg

HerkyHill0016.jpg

HerkyHill0020.jpg

Ken we were there at the same time for sure, we talked once before about our mutual friend Dave Beesley. Love the latest pictures, spent some time behind those sandbags during morter attacks, that street the truck is going down always reminds me of the vietnamese that used to sweep with flight gloves and sunglasses that we could never seem to get, and our momason never looked that good.LOL Remember the Herky Hill club and drank alot of those rusty top beers, and snorkled a bunch in the water down on the beach.

That I have been able to find out, there were 2 Herks written off at CRB.

57-0467 21 TAS hit a dozer at Dak To on take off made it back to CRB and was a write off 12 Oct 67

62-1814 50 TAS landed with a fire at 245. 3 Mar 68.

The pics above seem to be of 1814, but I can't be sure.

We have some pics of 62-1814 in the Gallery as Lockheed number 3776.

If anyone has pics of 57-0467, could they post them or e mail them.

Thanks

Bob

Anybody remember the outdoor movies at CRB? I seem to remember watching while they showed reel 1, then reel 3, and then reel 2. Everyone would throw beer cans (empty) at the projector hut and yell "Luther" at the projectionist. I always wondered if that was his real name. Then the rain would come and everybody just stayed in their seats except for the new guys.

I guess this must be the one I am thinking about.

If we needed a part at Naha the line chief would say to get it off the plane that had crashed.

CRS is getting to me.

March 26, 1966 : C-130A 56-0506, c/n 3114, of the 41st Troop Carrier Squadron, damaged landing at Tuy Hoa, South Vietnam, due to propeller reversal problem. Swerved into ditch to avoid truck at end of runway. Crew survived. Destroyed when towed by tank. Fuselage adapted for use as Officers Club building at Tuy Hoa.

You know I think Luther must have been the projectionist at the movies for several tours as I remember everybody yelling at Luther for almost 3 years while I was attending the movies! We would grab folding chairs and beer and go to the movies as soon as it got dark! If I remember right the screen was the back of the chow hall and right next to the Red Cross Center. I also remember the guards down at the beach would fire their flares up in the air over Herky Hill to disrupt the movies. I think it must have happened at shift-change!!!

Some of the movies were so old, that it took awhile to realize that we were watching reel 3 ahead of reel 2. I do remember the beer cans did no damage to the screen which I think was wood!!! One question, did we drink the beer warm??? I don't remember any coolers or ice being available!!!

Ken

Will , the pictures of the Herky carcass that I remember and can't find are none of the ones you posted. The one I remember was not as fresh looking as yours. It had no wings and I think, no flight deck area either. It was on the right hand side of the road going towards Herky Hill. It was all by itself just sitting/laying in the sand!

I will eventually find and post that pic.

My first trip to CRB was in Dec. 1967 and I stayed in quarters down on the main base (Not sure, but don't think Herky Hill was built yet), but after that, until my last trip in June 1970, I am sure it was there!

Ken

Ken, how about these 2 pics? I took pics of the Herks on the side of the road and these are the pics I have. I have a few more that are different angles but pretty much the same. I also included a shot of 544 in a revetment.

does anybody remember the cookouts. They would take several cases of steaks off the plane before it launched and then that evening they would have a cookout. It cost $2 bucks but included Coca Colas and Beer. That is me on the left without the shirt.

Wil

Will, I think that is the plane that I am thinking of! Yes, I do remember the cook outs well!! Sometimes someone would come up with potatoes also!! I also remember drinking all of the chocolate milk I could hold when aerial port showed up before daylight with several pallets of milk going in-country!!

Those were the days!!!!

Ken

I see in that picture you guys have a "donut dolly" for company!!!

Edited by Mt.crewchief