Vietnam airlift memoir

alanwbaker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alan,

I would be be very interested in you book also. I am very glad you are writing it. You story needs to be told. I checked out you web page and I found it extremly interesting.

I was a C-130 Crew Chief operating out of CCK during Feb 1971 to March 1973. My tour of duty in SEA was a real eye opening experience for a kid from Lancaster County, Pa.

Keep up the good work,

Jack Braine

Alan,

I would be be very interested in you book also. I am very glad you are writing it. You story needs to be told. I checked out you web page and I found it extremly interesting.

I was a C-130 Crew Chief operating out of CCK during Feb 1971 to March 1973. My tour of duty in SEA was a real eye opening experience for a kid from Lancaster County, Pa.

Keep up the good work,

Jack Braine

Jack,

My war stories will probably never be a book, but I'm glad you're enjoying the web pages. I'm writing up my experiences this summer, so there's much more to come--I'll put links here in the forum.

We were at CCK together--I was there through August of 1971. I just visited Lancaster County for the first time last month. Beautiful country. Enjoyed the Landis Valley Museum.

Alan

P.S. What tail numbers were you crew chief for between February and August of 1971?

I want one, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!Probably bring back memories of things that sorta hide for now. It is great people like you are writin' the stuff down. All too soon there won't be any of us to remember it, personally.

load clear

Giz

Giz,

Yes, I thought I'd write this stuff down for posterity while I still have all my marbles (well, most of them). More web pages coming--watch this forum.

Alan

Alan,

I was a Floater. I remember Crewing 63-7771, 63-7773 and 63-7775. There were others. I would return to CCK on one plane and step on another and go back to TSN. Starting in March 1971 I went 126 days with only 4 days back in CCK. When Capt. Young, our Maintainance Officer found out, he made sure I got a break. 63-7773 is now on permanent display at Fort Indiantown Gap in Pennsylvania.

We most likely did cross paths

Alan......

Alan,

I was a Floater. I remember Crewing 63-7771, 63-7773 and 63-7775. There were others. I would return to CCK on one plane and step on another and go back to TSN. Starting in March 1971 I went 126 days with only 4 days back in CCK. When Capt. Young, our Maintainance Officer found out, he made sure I got a break. 63-7773 is now on permanent display at Fort Indiantown Gap in Pennsylvania.

We most likely did cross paths

Alan......

Yup. On March 5, 1970 I flew 63-7775 to Osan, Korea--a cold, bleak place. I'll write a page about that flight one day...

Alan

Alan,

Enjoyed reading your site. Your trip to Phuc Quok Island reminded me of a similar run in 67 or 68 (I was a Loadmaster). We took several VC prisoners, complete with burlap sacks over their heads, along with other PAX to the island. The guards uncovered their heads during the flight and I remember how young and scared they looked.

Glad you kept such good logs. I'm sure your stories bring back a lot of memories for all of us.

Regards,

John

Alan,

Enjoyed reading your site. Your trip to Phuc Quok Island reminded me of a similar run in 67 or 68 (I was a Loadmaster). We took several VC prisoners, complete with burlap sacks over their heads, along with other PAX to the island. The guards uncovered their heads during the flight and I remember how young and scared they looked.

Glad you kept such good logs. I'm sure your stories bring back a lot of memories for all of us.

Regards,

John

John,

My logs are letters I mailed my wife, so she deserves the thanks for keeping them for 40 years!

Weren't we all young and scared? Glad you're enjoying the stories--more will follow.

Alan