Saved a Hero today

Wil Sanchez

Tonight, my wife and I were at the Summit (a new Senior Activity center that Gand Prairie just built) hanging out in the pool. We were talking to some friends when I looked over and saw a man I had talked to in the locker room awhile earlier struggling to stay on top of the water. I took a quick look and swam the 20ft to where he was at. Just as I got there he came up and called out for help. I grabbed him just as the lifeguard saw what was happening. The lifeguard ran over to the edge close to where we were at and jumped in. I passed him off to the lifeguard who then took him into water that he could stand up in. He was ok and swallowed only a little water. He and his wife thanked me for helng him out, she mentioned he was 90 years old and not a very good swimmer. He and his wife left the pool soon after and headed for the lockers rooms. About 20 minutes later I headed for the locker room to clean up and head home. I saw him sitting on a bench putting on one of his socks . I asked him if he was all right. He said he was and thanked me again. That is when I saw his ball cap. He is a WW11 and Korean veteran.

We have far too few WW11 vets left and every one is a precious resource. I am sorry I didn't get his name but I will update you when I do. I eat lunch at the Summit most days and I sit with another WW11 and Korean vet by the name of Roy Hill. He was at the Battle of the Bulge and at Pusan in Korea. He is 88 and his mind is sharp as a tack. I feel privileged to be around these heroes. Sorry I made this so long.

Wil

Good job Will one of my best good friend is a WWII AAF Vet he was a tail gunner on one of the bombers not sure. He and the Nav. are the only ones left. He was in the 8th Air Force.I will ask him again he has told me but old age. I see almost everyday he is a tough old man like all Vets.

DITTO! And no post involving a WWII/Korea Vet will ever be "too long".

Good job Will one of my best good friend is a WWII AAF Vet he was a tail gunner on one of the bombers not sure. He and the Nav. are the only ones left. He was in the 8th Air Force.I will ask him again he has told me but old age. I see almost everyday he is a tough old man like all Vets.

Great Job... Thank you...

I live and work in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and I see a lot of vets from WWII to present day and really enjoy talking with them and listining to what they have to say....

They are our National Treasure

What is it about the C-130 eople who always come through when it counts????????? As a retired firefighter, I know what small hesitations and lack of action can result in, in situations like this. Outstanding, brother, outstanding. Somehow, i can hear you sayin' "well somebody had to do somethin." Well, most people don't. No matter what era service, vets are a true 'national treasure,'. as you are, willie, for puttin' yourself into "I'll help ya." mode. You did us all proud.

load clear

P.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Many times we get into sitations that don't require much thought only sction. I haven't seen him yet so I don't have his name yet. I will update you guys when I see him.

I'm going to have to get better at getting names and stuff. I failed on another occasion. When we were at Davis Monthan in April our last stop was the Pima Air and Space Museum. While I was looking at the C-124 Shakey a gentleman came up to us and said I flew this very plane in the late 60's. I mentioned that I might have worked on it in 68. We chatted awhile longer and then continued on. Later when we were driving back to Albuquerque I mentione to my Wife that I should have taken a picture of him and his plane and gotten his name. So I apologize for not getting the details.

Wil