Auto Throttle!!

tusker

YEA RIGHT...

Not so much the J has FADEC, so you push them to the stops and it adjusts for conditions to give max power.

On approach you still have to set and monitor the power....

Auto-feather on the outboards for any "auto-feather" condition. The inboards will windwill at 100% if another engine is feathered. If all four flameout the inboards will windmill at 100%..........

The J engine does actually have auto-throttles. The FADEC isn't really part of that, it just makes operating the engine within limits much easier.

The prop isn't mechanically connected to the power section like on the legacy birds; the best description I've heard is that it's comparable to a torque converter on an automatic transmission, except it uses air as the fluid.

Well!!.It is quiet on the front so, I am gonna ask the question. Hope I won't be ridiculous!!.........Auto throttle!!!.....does it exist now on the beast!!!.............................John Boy:)

From what I hear, the aircrew can set a desired airspeed, and the autopilot will control the engine power to keep the airspeed steady, by moving the throttles.

AMPTestFE is right about the engine being similar to a torque converter. Your torque converter in your car is also a set of stators and rotors with blades, and just uses fluid inertia to rotate the stator stage which moves your car. When the rotor stage (attached to the engine side) gains enough speed, the fluid can no longer squeeze between the rotor and stator blades without rotating the stator stage with the rotor. This rotation transfers torque to the transmission, which translates torque into motion to your driveshaft, then your wheels.

The J-model engine, the AE2100D3 (civilian designation since the Air Force doesn't own the engine) uses what's called a dual-spool turbine, which means it has two turbine assemblies, but still has four stages. The first two stages are tied together, and they turn the compressor and accessories exclusively. The final two stages of the turbine are tied together, and they only rotate the gearbox, which in turn, rotates the propeller. Turbofans and Turboshaft engines have been using this arrangement for many years now, and the J-model engine heavily resembles a Turboshaft engine like the T-64 engine used in the H-53 helicopter. I'd imagine it would be a lot harder to decouple too since the prop isn't turning the entire engine, just a gearbox and two stages of turbine blades.

Guys!!......you want autoland!!.....this is what I call autoland......Cat3C..DH:0foot or just about

OK, now that you're down, how does the fire department find you if you have an emergency? Just head for the big orange glow?

Don R.

........and they got rid of the FE's ..did they!! If it keeps goin' like this, the Load master will be #1...................just like in the movies...GI#1...GI#1!!!!.............................John Boy

They do have auto throttles and they work very well.

Our folks are starting to realize just how great this airplane performs.

As for the fuel, the Loads assist the pilots when required to balance the fuel panel or to set up for cross feed. The Loads also help out the TCM/mainteneace guy with ground fueling.

Form F!! Nah, we created our own Canadian version. Afterall, it is nothing more than transcribing the W & B condition from the CNIMU.

Dont laugh too much but I guess you havent heard of the "Crewmaster" position....

Crewchief and Loadmaster.....wonder who is going to fuel the plane while the "Loadmaster" is loading and doing the Form F.

Did it for 10 years on the 17. Sucked but we made it happen.

Everything in this thread has been correct so far. Auto throttles; check. Free turbine; check. No FE; check. In the coast guard the load sits in the third seat and monitors the pilidiots.

Im maintaince and crew on the J any other questions I'll do my best to help answer.

hey hklm, e-city doesnt happen to ring a bell does it?

I dont have an issue with it other than training. Our mission (IFR/AR) requires two bodies in the back so you will have two fully qualified crewmasters vice one and an observer(working to become a crewmaster).

It will be a much longer training track and unless it is a load to crewchief first or crewchief to load track with some ojt/experience in between the time to train will eliminate some students....

e-city??

No it doesnt!

Should it??

No it doesnt have to, If your with the J model program I used to fly with your exchange pilot that was down here with us. I was just wondering if you were him. If you dont know him hes a great pilot and awesome guy.