Chow Halls

EClark

Rate your chow halls! My best was at Midway NAS.The food was great the service was good.The food might have been good because I hadn't had a meal in over eight hours. Midnight chow was always the best SOS hot you can't beat it over scramble eggs love that still make it once in awhile. But truly from a country boys stand point all the food was good if you had been use to eating cornbread and beans everyday.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a half decent BBQ Chow Hall at Bagram. I heard they plowed it under in favor of more B-huts... The best chow hall I can recall was at K-2. Nice breakfast sandwiches, BBQ night (made using charcoal), steak and lobster night. Although I'd skip the lobster. Seafood several thousand miles from an ocean made me a bit leary....

Does anyone remember the momma sohn at Takhli, Thailand that would meet us at our planes on the ramp with a push cart full of fresh bananas, peanuts, iced cold pineapple and drinks after a long, hot and dusty day in country. She would even make you a peanut butter and banana sandwich. It was hard to beat at the time.

Does anyone remember the momma sohn at Takhli, Thailand that would meet us at our planes on the ramp with a push cart full of fresh bananas, peanuts, iced cold pineapple and drinks after a long, hot and dusty day in country. She would even make you a peanut butter and banana sandwich. It was hard to beat at the time.

I don't remember the one at Takhi but there was moma Dang at Don Mong Airport she had sandwichs could ask for ham and chesse she would say GI crazy, I got ham sandwich I got chesse sandwich. no got ham and chesse.

Mike Thompson

While "racked and stacked" at the Kohbar Towers we always made it a point to swipe the crew truck and head over to "Lucky Base". For some reason the buncha' trailer doobers they pushed together at the towers was bargain basement stuff, sometimes safer to just live with the MRE's (those days what I wouldn't give for a C-Rat!). Last few years in the "war" I spent some time at Hurlburt - man was that really Grade A grub.

Fleagle

Oh yeah! Who's still got their P-38!?

Surprisingly, Ascension Island had some good breakfast, and Camp Butmir(?) in Sarajevo was a nice surprise as well.

I gained 10 pounds in 9 days at Ascension Island. The Marriot or something like that had the food contract at the time.

--Jerry Fenmonster Fenwick

While "racked and stacked" at the Kohbar Towers we always made it a point to swipe the crew truck and head over to "Lucky Base". For some reason the buncha' trailer doobers they pushed together at the towers was bargain basement stuff, sometimes safer to just live with the MRE's (those days what I wouldn't give for a C-Rat!). Last few years in the "war" I spent some time at Hurlburt - man was that really Grade A grub.

Fleagle

Oh yeah! Who's still got their P-38!?

I do! (somewhere)

--Jerry Fenwick

Mine is still on my key ring thst I use all the time. Still good for dirty fiinger nails.

Dang at Don Moung did make the best ham and cheese with crispy lettice. On out and backs to there from TSN we always had orders from folks and we would bring back bags full of ham andcheese sandwiches. Also when Don Moung operation shut down Dang and her shed were carried to Utapo on a C-130.Troop moral mission.

Muff

Kepp mine in my flight suit sleve pocket. Never know when I will need to open that can of Spaghetti O's in my helmet bag.

Got chewed out by a Command Chief in 2004 at Ali Al Salem for calling it the Chow hall. He told me that it was now to be refered to as the DFAC. He told me that the aircrew were not the only ones working hard and the term chow hall was derogatory(sp) and offensive. I told him I meant no disrespect and turned to my crew and said "I'm going to th chow hall. I will see you back at the hooch!" Needless to say he was pissed! My A/C, an old school Lt Col, jumped in and gave the E-9 a little "What for and how it is!" That was the point I knew the real war/operations were over and had been replaced by the Big Blue Bafoonery!

Mine is still on my key ring thst I use all the time. Still good for dirty fiinger nails.

Dang at Don Moung did make the best ham and cheese with crispy lettice. On out and backs to there from TSN we always had orders from folks and we would bring back bags full of ham andcheese sandwiches. Also when Don Moung operation shut down Dang and her shed were carried to Utapo on a C-130.Troop moral mission.

Muff

I'm glad you guys remembered Dang's sandwiches--Her egg-salad sandwiches were the best I have ever eaten--the biggest too!!!

I finally quit carrying my P38 due to the holes in my pocket and my leg!!

Ken

Edited by Mt.crewchief
name

Best CHOW HALL would have to be Goose Bay!!

Next best would be almost any Navy Galley - mmmmm good food:D

Oh and Temptation Island (Masirah) would almost certainly be up towards the top of the list for sure.

Still have my original P-38 on my key chain, that thing has been poking holes in my leg for over three decades.

Best CHOW HALL would have to be Goose Bay!!

Ah yes I remember Goose it was pretty good.. We had to go to a German AB in Munich and they had a great chow hall, that even served beer at lunch.

The early birds were great at the little chow hall just off of the flight line in Incerlik, Turkey.. mmmmmmm

My P38 is in my puzzle box.

Mine was the 57FIS dining facility in the Orderly Room building at Keflavik (77-78). I was told they set it up (legally?)as an offshoot of the Alert barn facility. I'm a Navy brat and the Navy chow at Kef was some of the worst I ever saw.

Maybe not best but plentiful was the the Alyamama Hotel in Ryadh, where we lived for ELF-1 (79-81) and you could eat 23 out of 24 hours a day on the King's tab. Never did get used to beef "bacon" though.

I forgot all about the Alert Pad chow hall when I was in SAC @ Wurtsmith AFB in Michigan pulling alert with KC-135A models. They did have some good grub in the hole.

I don't miss heating water, dumping water and refilling water one bit on those A models..

Maybe not best but plentiful was the the Alyamama Hotel in Ryadh, where we lived for ELF-1 (79-81) and you could eat 23 out of 24 hours a day on the King's tab.

Ahh the ol AlYamamma Hotel.

Have some pretty funny memory's of that place LOL

Dont miss the Camel burgers at all though, ate the hell out of the grilled cheese sandwiches and chocolate moose.

elfoneID.jpg